Blog: Pepsi spreads wings beyond CSDs
Olly Wehring | 8 January 2007
In the space of five months, PepsiCo has once again demonstrated its willingness to expand beyond its traditional carbonated boundaries. In August, the company acquired the sparkling juice brand Izze Beverage Co. for US$75m from backers Greenmont Capital Partners and Sherbrooke Capital. Yesterday (8 January), Pepsi sealed a deal to buy the juice and smoothie company Naked Juice Co. from North Castle Partners for an undisclosed amount.
Neither acquisitions risk breaking the bank, but they are strategically important nonetheless.
Izze Beverage Co, for example, only had revenues around the US$25m mark when it was acquired. Such is the demand for drinks outside the CSD category at present, however, that the drinks and snack giant can expect significant growth once its distribution and marketing arms flex their muscles.
As one analyst said today: “Pepsi and Coke don’t make acquisitions of these beverage companies because they can. They see the need.”
Expect much more of the same this year, then.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends