Blog: Pepsi spreads wings beyond CSDs
Olly Wehring | 8 January 2007
In the space of five months, PepsiCo has once again demonstrated its willingness to expand beyond its traditional carbonated boundaries. In August, the company acquired the sparkling juice brand Izze Beverage Co. for US$75m from backers Greenmont Capital Partners and Sherbrooke Capital. Yesterday (8 January), Pepsi sealed a deal to buy the juice and smoothie company Naked Juice Co. from North Castle Partners for an undisclosed amount.
Neither acquisitions risk breaking the bank, but they are strategically important nonetheless.
Izze Beverage Co, for example, only had revenues around the US$25m mark when it was acquired. Such is the demand for drinks outside the CSD category at present, however, that the drinks and snack giant can expect significant growth once its distribution and marketing arms flex their muscles.
As one analyst said today: “Pepsi and Coke don’t make acquisitions of these beverage companies because they can. They see the need.”
Expect much more of the same this year, then.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research