Blog: Pepsi spreads wings beyond CSDs
Olly Wehring | 8 January 2007
In the space of five months, PepsiCo has once again demonstrated its willingness to expand beyond its traditional carbonated boundaries. In August, the company acquired the sparkling juice brand Izze Beverage Co. for US$75m from backers Greenmont Capital Partners and Sherbrooke Capital. Yesterday (8 January), Pepsi sealed a deal to buy the juice and smoothie company Naked Juice Co. from North Castle Partners for an undisclosed amount.
Neither acquisitions risk breaking the bank, but they are strategically important nonetheless.
Izze Beverage Co, for example, only had revenues around the US$25m mark when it was acquired. Such is the demand for drinks outside the CSD category at present, however, that the drinks and snack giant can expect significant growth once its distribution and marketing arms flex their muscles.
As one analyst said today: “Pepsi and Coke don’t make acquisitions of these beverage companies because they can. They see the need.”
Expect much more of the same this year, then.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends