Blog: Pepsi spreads wings beyond CSDs
Olly Wehring | 8 January 2007
In the space of five months, PepsiCo has once again demonstrated its willingness to expand beyond its traditional carbonated boundaries. In August, the company acquired the sparkling juice brand Izze Beverage Co. for US$75m from backers Greenmont Capital Partners and Sherbrooke Capital. Yesterday (8 January), Pepsi sealed a deal to buy the juice and smoothie company Naked Juice Co. from North Castle Partners for an undisclosed amount.
Neither acquisitions risk breaking the bank, but they are strategically important nonetheless.
Izze Beverage Co, for example, only had revenues around the US$25m mark when it was acquired. Such is the demand for drinks outside the CSD category at present, however, that the drinks and snack giant can expect significant growth once its distribution and marketing arms flex their muscles.
As one analyst said today: “Pepsi and Coke don’t make acquisitions of these beverage companies because they can. They see the need.”
Expect much more of the same this year, then.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends