Blog: Pepsi spreads wings beyond CSDs
Olly Wehring | 8 January 2007
In the space of five months, PepsiCo has once again demonstrated its willingness to expand beyond its traditional carbonated boundaries. In August, the company acquired the sparkling juice brand Izze Beverage Co. for US$75m from backers Greenmont Capital Partners and Sherbrooke Capital. Yesterday (8 January), Pepsi sealed a deal to buy the juice and smoothie company Naked Juice Co. from North Castle Partners for an undisclosed amount.
Neither acquisitions risk breaking the bank, but they are strategically important nonetheless.
Izze Beverage Co, for example, only had revenues around the US$25m mark when it was acquired. Such is the demand for drinks outside the CSD category at present, however, that the drinks and snack giant can expect significant growth once its distribution and marketing arms flex their muscles.
As one analyst said today: “Pepsi and Coke don’t make acquisitions of these beverage companies because they can. They see the need.”
Expect much more of the same this year, then.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends