Blog: Peer pressure on ‘pops tax
Olly Wehring | 14 December 2006
You could write a movie about it –Californian high school students revolt against the alcohol industry to save their peers from excessive drinking.
It would be real-life too, not fiction, because four Sacramento high school students testified this week before the California State Board of Equalization (BOE) in a bid to reduce underage drinking by increasing the taxes collected on RTDs.
The youngsters are also unhappy with the nature of alcopop ads that focus on flirting and partying - both popular past-times for some, but evidently not all, senior students.
In such a movie, brands like Smirnoff Ice and Bacardi Silver would play their parts, facing price hikes if the increases went through. The Californian tax board would be the ‘baddies’, as would other state officials… Enter Governor Schwarzenegger for a starring role.
The teens say that alcopops, which are currently taxed at the same rate as beer in California, contain distilled spirits and should therefore be taxed at the higher rate.
They propose spending the increased state tax revenue on organisations like California Friday Night Live Partnership, Students Making a Community Change, and California Youth Council, which help youngsters avoid alcohol abuse and drink driving.
The BOE yesterday agreed to review the situation, but added that RTDs “are defined by Federal regulations as malt beverages in which the majority of alcohol is the product of brewing”.
Perhaps a happy ending is not yet guaranteed for these enterprising teens?
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets