Blog: Party hopes in Ashes
Chris Brook-Carter | 16 August 2005
For many of you, ‘cricket’ is a small insect that keeps you awake at night. On this fair isle, however, the whole country is gripped by the highs and lows of a different kind of cricket. England are playing Australia in the World-famous Ashes cricket test series (think baseball minus gloves, pyjamas and spitting).
For 350 brewery workers in northern England, however, the last match, which finished yesterday in a draw, may have turned them off the sport for life.
Staff at the Thwaites brewery in Lancashire were promised a case each of the company’s Lancaster Bomber Ale, if England cricketer Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff scored 50 runs in the match. He was caught on 46 runs.
The brewery bosses then thought they’d give Flintoff, the official face of Lancaster Bomber, a second chance – he had to get five Aussies out from his bowling.
He got four.
“The Aussies cost us a good knees-up,” one worker told the Mirror. “But Freddie is still our hero.”
Loyalty or idiocy?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends