Blog: Party hopes in Ashes
Chris Brook-Carter | 16 August 2005
For many of you, ‘cricket’ is a small insect that keeps you awake at night. On this fair isle, however, the whole country is gripped by the highs and lows of a different kind of cricket. England are playing Australia in the World-famous Ashes cricket test series (think baseball minus gloves, pyjamas and spitting).
For 350 brewery workers in northern England, however, the last match, which finished yesterday in a draw, may have turned them off the sport for life.
Staff at the Thwaites brewery in Lancashire were promised a case each of the company’s Lancaster Bomber Ale, if England cricketer Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff scored 50 runs in the match. He was caught on 46 runs.
The brewery bosses then thought they’d give Flintoff, the official face of Lancaster Bomber, a second chance – he had to get five Aussies out from his bowling.
He got four.
“The Aussies cost us a good knees-up,” one worker told the Mirror. “But Freddie is still our hero.”
Loyalty or idiocy?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends