Blog: Paint job
Chris Brook-Carter | 16 October 2003
One of the more interesting concepts has been a switch from just sponsoring someone else's event to hosting your own. Smirnoff has gone down this root with the Smirnoff Experience, a range of dance events round the globe. Back here in the UK, Carling has been extremely successful in allying itself to the music scene, by hosting a range of rock and pop concerts and sponsoring spaces on the London Underground, for licensed buskers to perform in.
This direction is an expensive route to take of course and one alternative is the growing use of guerrilla advertising. That said there was a good piece in today's Sun newspaper about one such campaign backfiring.
According to the report, Smirnoff has placed ad slogans on the walls of a busy underpass in the city of Leeds, much to the chagrin of city councillors trying to stop youths from daubing graffiti.
An artist working for the firm used steam jets and stencils to create funky catchphrases plugging Smirnoff Ice amid the inner ring road tunnel's grime.
However, Leeds City Council has branded the slogans graffiti and condemned Smirnoff's actions as "sheer vandalism". They said the whole underpass will have to be shut for cleaning -and vowed to hand the company a bill for thousands of pounds.
Diageo, Smirnoff's owner has apparently apologised, claimed no law was broken and said they intend to clean the tunnel once the campaign ends.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Asahi loses Q1 sales overseas
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India