Blog: Paint job
Chris Brook-Carter | 16 October 2003
One of the more interesting concepts has been a switch from just sponsoring someone else's event to hosting your own. Smirnoff has gone down this root with the Smirnoff Experience, a range of dance events round the globe. Back here in the UK, Carling has been extremely successful in allying itself to the music scene, by hosting a range of rock and pop concerts and sponsoring spaces on the London Underground, for licensed buskers to perform in.
This direction is an expensive route to take of course and one alternative is the growing use of guerrilla advertising. That said there was a good piece in today's Sun newspaper about one such campaign backfiring.
According to the report, Smirnoff has placed ad slogans on the walls of a busy underpass in the city of Leeds, much to the chagrin of city councillors trying to stop youths from daubing graffiti.
An artist working for the firm used steam jets and stencils to create funky catchphrases plugging Smirnoff Ice amid the inner ring road tunnel's grime.
However, Leeds City Council has branded the slogans graffiti and condemned Smirnoff's actions as "sheer vandalism". They said the whole underpass will have to be shut for cleaning -and vowed to hand the company a bill for thousands of pounds.
Diageo, Smirnoff's owner has apparently apologised, claimed no law was broken and said they intend to clean the tunnel once the campaign ends.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends