Blog: Paint job
Chris Brook-Carter | 16 October 2003
One of the more interesting concepts has been a switch from just sponsoring someone else's event to hosting your own. Smirnoff has gone down this root with the Smirnoff Experience, a range of dance events round the globe. Back here in the UK, Carling has been extremely successful in allying itself to the music scene, by hosting a range of rock and pop concerts and sponsoring spaces on the London Underground, for licensed buskers to perform in.
This direction is an expensive route to take of course and one alternative is the growing use of guerrilla advertising. That said there was a good piece in today's Sun newspaper about one such campaign backfiring.
According to the report, Smirnoff has placed ad slogans on the walls of a busy underpass in the city of Leeds, much to the chagrin of city councillors trying to stop youths from daubing graffiti.
An artist working for the firm used steam jets and stencils to create funky catchphrases plugging Smirnoff Ice amid the inner ring road tunnel's grime.
However, Leeds City Council has branded the slogans graffiti and condemned Smirnoff's actions as "sheer vandalism". They said the whole underpass will have to be shut for cleaning -and vowed to hand the company a bill for thousands of pounds.
Diageo, Smirnoff's owner has apparently apologised, claimed no law was broken and said they intend to clean the tunnel once the campaign ends.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014