Blog: Paint job
Chris Brook-Carter | 16 October 2003
One of the more interesting concepts has been a switch from just sponsoring someone else's event to hosting your own. Smirnoff has gone down this root with the Smirnoff Experience, a range of dance events round the globe. Back here in the UK, Carling has been extremely successful in allying itself to the music scene, by hosting a range of rock and pop concerts and sponsoring spaces on the London Underground, for licensed buskers to perform in.
This direction is an expensive route to take of course and one alternative is the growing use of guerrilla advertising. That said there was a good piece in today's Sun newspaper about one such campaign backfiring.
According to the report, Smirnoff has placed ad slogans on the walls of a busy underpass in the city of Leeds, much to the chagrin of city councillors trying to stop youths from daubing graffiti.
An artist working for the firm used steam jets and stencils to create funky catchphrases plugging Smirnoff Ice amid the inner ring road tunnel's grime.
However, Leeds City Council has branded the slogans graffiti and condemned Smirnoff's actions as "sheer vandalism". They said the whole underpass will have to be shut for cleaning -and vowed to hand the company a bill for thousands of pounds.
Diageo, Smirnoff's owner has apparently apologised, claimed no law was broken and said they intend to clean the tunnel once the campaign ends.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages