Blog: P Diddy vs 50 Cent in vodka wars
Lucy Britner | 18 August 2015
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his eight-year tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc.
Now, Diddy is known to walk a tightrope between humour and arrogance when it comes to promoting his brand - as viewers of that bubble bath video will no doubt attest. And, his latest snipe at the opposition sees 50 Cent's olive branch, in the form of a case of Effen vodka, snapped and used for kindling.
50 Cent, who is a spokesperson for Beam Suntory's Effen, and P Diddy often use social media to spar with each other about their rival brands. In the latest bout, 50 Cent reportedly delivered a case of Effen to Diddy during a radio interview, with a note that said "Let's be friends".
Last month, Diddy offered 50 Cent a lifetime's supply of Ciroc for his 40th birthday, according to reports.
And so 50 Cent's delivery of just a case of his Effen vodka provoked this response from the Did-meister: "I appreciate his gesture... When you're first starting out in these little companies, they don't really have a lot of supply. So that's with homeboy's vodka, sometimes maybe you can only send a case."
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Moet Hennessy's Glenmorangie Co has unveiled the oldest iteration of its namesake single malt Scotch whisky brand....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research