Blog: Outsider moves in on Remy Cointreau Champagne
Chris Mercer | 1 March 2011
Remy Cointreau's Champagne unit looks set to be shrouded in the secrecy of one of France's richest families.
Remy said last night that it has entered exclusive talks with France's Societe Europeenne de Participations Industrielles (EPI) on the sale of Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, plus the brands' related vineyard assets.
Very little is known about EPI, other than it is run by Christopher Descours, the grandson of its founding family. The Descours were recently named France's 50th richest family by the country's Challenges publication.
The Descours have built themselves in the mould (albeit less grandly) of LVMH, acquiring luxury brands, including J.M. Weston and François Pinet shoes, Bonpoint children's clothes, Alain Figaret shirts and the Château La Verrerie winery.
EPI's name has circuited as a possible buyer for Piper-Heidsieck in the last few weeks, although it was far from the favourite to secure exclusive talks with Remy.
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring AG Barr, Bombay Sapphire, Wines of South Africa and Pabst Brewing Co....
It seems there's not much in the world that can make people smile these days. Luckily, we're part of an industry that has just been scientifically proven to do just that. ...
Despite accounting for just a small percentage of overall sales, craft beer is making an impression on the US....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Will low-alcohol wines wither on the vine?
- Coca-Cola Life US launch fails to ignite
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker hit by Travel Retail slump
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Anheuser-Busch InBev shuts fourth Russian brewery
- Mallya stays chairman at Diageo's United Spirits
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks