Blog: Outsider moves in on Remy Cointreau Champagne
Chris Mercer | 1 March 2011
Remy Cointreau's Champagne unit looks set to be shrouded in the secrecy of one of France's richest families.
Remy said last night that it has entered exclusive talks with France's Societe Europeenne de Participations Industrielles (EPI) on the sale of Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, plus the brands' related vineyard assets.
Very little is known about EPI, other than it is run by Christopher Descours, the grandson of its founding family. The Descours were recently named France's 50th richest family by the country's Challenges publication.
The Descours have built themselves in the mould (albeit less grandly) of LVMH, acquiring luxury brands, including J.M. Weston and François Pinet shoes, Bonpoint children's clothes, Alain Figaret shirts and the Château La Verrerie winery.
EPI's name has circuited as a possible buyer for Piper-Heidsieck in the last few weeks, although it was far from the favourite to secure exclusive talks with Remy.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets