Blog: Outsider moves in on Remy Cointreau Champagne
Chris Mercer | 1 March 2011
Remy Cointreau's Champagne unit looks set to be shrouded in the secrecy of one of France's richest families.
Remy said last night that it has entered exclusive talks with France's Societe Europeenne de Participations Industrielles (EPI) on the sale of Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, plus the brands' related vineyard assets.
Very little is known about EPI, other than it is run by Christopher Descours, the grandson of its founding family. The Descours were recently named France's 50th richest family by the country's Challenges publication.
The Descours have built themselves in the mould (albeit less grandly) of LVMH, acquiring luxury brands, including J.M. Weston and François Pinet shoes, Bonpoint children's clothes, Alain Figaret shirts and the Château La Verrerie winery.
EPI's name has circuited as a possible buyer for Piper-Heidsieck in the last few weeks, although it was far from the favourite to secure exclusive talks with Remy.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research