Blog: Outsider moves in on Remy Cointreau Champagne
Chris Mercer | 1 March 2011
Remy Cointreau's Champagne unit looks set to be shrouded in the secrecy of one of France's richest families.
Remy said last night that it has entered exclusive talks with France's Societe Europeenne de Participations Industrielles (EPI) on the sale of Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, plus the brands' related vineyard assets.
Very little is known about EPI, other than it is run by Christopher Descours, the grandson of its founding family. The Descours were recently named France's 50th richest family by the country's Challenges publication.
The Descours have built themselves in the mould (albeit less grandly) of LVMH, acquiring luxury brands, including J.M. Weston and François Pinet shoes, Bonpoint children's clothes, Alain Figaret shirts and the Château La Verrerie winery.
EPI's name has circuited as a possible buyer for Piper-Heidsieck in the last few weeks, although it was far from the favourite to secure exclusive talks with Remy.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets