Blog: Outsider moves in on Remy Cointreau Champagne
Chris Mercer | 1 March 2011
Remy Cointreau's Champagne unit looks set to be shrouded in the secrecy of one of France's richest families.
Remy said last night that it has entered exclusive talks with France's Societe Europeenne de Participations Industrielles (EPI) on the sale of Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, plus the brands' related vineyard assets.
Very little is known about EPI, other than it is run by Christopher Descours, the grandson of its founding family. The Descours were recently named France's 50th richest family by the country's Challenges publication.
The Descours have built themselves in the mould (albeit less grandly) of LVMH, acquiring luxury brands, including J.M. Weston and François Pinet shoes, Bonpoint children's clothes, Alain Figaret shirts and the Château La Verrerie winery.
EPI's name has circuited as a possible buyer for Piper-Heidsieck in the last few weeks, although it was far from the favourite to secure exclusive talks with Remy.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends