Blog: Online ad spend trumps TV
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2009
For the first time, advertisers are spending more money online than on television in the UK, say the number crunchers.
Online ad spend reached a record GBP1.75bn (US$2.8bn) in the first six months of 2009, a rise of 4.6% year-on-year, according to the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB), with the aid of PricewaterhouseCoopers.
TV advertising spend, meanwhile, fell 17% to GBP1.6bn in the same period, making it the first time that internet ad spend has overtaken that of television.
Online's share of advertising spend in the UK stood at 23.5% for the first half of 2009, compared to 22% for television.
The interweb's rise to prominence in 2009 has doubtless been aided by a collapse in television advertising rates (you'll note that TV ad spend decline is significantly higher than the rise in online ad spend).
And, the IAB says that total UK advertising spend fell 16.6% in the first six months of this year, as the country battled against recession.
However, this day has surely been coming for some time.
In a nutshell, the internet provides a more targeted, more measurable method of advertising, not to mention the possibilities for interactive campaigns.
For the Full IAB report, click here.
Chris M, deputy ed.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report