Blog: Online ad spend trumps TV
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2009
For the first time, advertisers are spending more money online than on television in the UK, say the number crunchers.
Online ad spend reached a record GBP1.75bn (US$2.8bn) in the first six months of 2009, a rise of 4.6% year-on-year, according to the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB), with the aid of PricewaterhouseCoopers.
TV advertising spend, meanwhile, fell 17% to GBP1.6bn in the same period, making it the first time that internet ad spend has overtaken that of television.
Online's share of advertising spend in the UK stood at 23.5% for the first half of 2009, compared to 22% for television.
The interweb's rise to prominence in 2009 has doubtless been aided by a collapse in television advertising rates (you'll note that TV ad spend decline is significantly higher than the rise in online ad spend).
And, the IAB says that total UK advertising spend fell 16.6% in the first six months of this year, as the country battled against recession.
However, this day has surely been coming for some time.
In a nutshell, the internet provides a more targeted, more measurable method of advertising, not to mention the possibilities for interactive campaigns.
For the Full IAB report, click here.
Chris M, deputy ed.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India