Blog: Online ad spend trumps TV
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2009
For the first time, advertisers are spending more money online than on television in the UK, say the number crunchers.
Online ad spend reached a record GBP1.75bn (US$2.8bn) in the first six months of 2009, a rise of 4.6% year-on-year, according to the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB), with the aid of PricewaterhouseCoopers.
TV advertising spend, meanwhile, fell 17% to GBP1.6bn in the same period, making it the first time that internet ad spend has overtaken that of television.
Online's share of advertising spend in the UK stood at 23.5% for the first half of 2009, compared to 22% for television.
The interweb's rise to prominence in 2009 has doubtless been aided by a collapse in television advertising rates (you'll note that TV ad spend decline is significantly higher than the rise in online ad spend).
And, the IAB says that total UK advertising spend fell 16.6% in the first six months of this year, as the country battled against recession.
However, this day has surely been coming for some time.
In a nutshell, the internet provides a more targeted, more measurable method of advertising, not to mention the possibilities for interactive campaigns.
For the Full IAB report, click here.
Chris M, deputy ed.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research