Blog: One small step for a can - Pokari Sweat heads to the moon
Andy Morton | 16 May 2014
Japanese beverage firm Otsuka Pharmaceutical is claiming a world-first with plans to send a can of its Pokari Sweat to the moon.
According to a press release, the company will piggyback the specially-reinforced can on the first private moon landing project, due to blast off from Florida in May next year. But there are no plans for a return flight - Otsuka says it wants to inspire youngsters to become astronauts so they can fly to the moon and drink the Pokari Sweat themselves.
Unless the Martians beat them to it, of course.
But while Pokari Sweat may be the first beverage on the moon, it won't be the first in space. Check out my previous blog for other zero-gravity adventures for the industry.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends