Blog: One small step for a can - Pokari Sweat heads to the moon
Andy Morton | 16 May 2014
Japanese beverage firm Otsuka Pharmaceutical is claiming a world-first with plans to send a can of its Pokari Sweat to the moon.
According to a press release, the company will piggyback the specially-reinforced can on the first private moon landing project, due to blast off from Florida in May next year. But there are no plans for a return flight - Otsuka says it wants to inspire youngsters to become astronauts so they can fly to the moon and drink the Pokari Sweat themselves.
Unless the Martians beat them to it, of course.
But while Pokari Sweat may be the first beverage on the moon, it won't be the first in space. Check out my previous blog for other zero-gravity adventures for the industry.
Sectors: Soft drinks
The success of craft beer may be one of the biggest success stories in packaged beverages in the last 50 years. Craft beer currently accounts for over 14% of the overall beer market in the US and craf...
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research