Blog: One small step for a can - Pokari Sweat heads to the moon
Andy Morton | 16 May 2014
Japanese beverage firm Otsuka Pharmaceutical is claiming a world-first with plans to send a can of its Pokari Sweat to the moon.
According to a press release, the company will piggyback the specially-reinforced can on the first private moon landing project, due to blast off from Florida in May next year. But there are no plans for a return flight - Otsuka says it wants to inspire youngsters to become astronauts so they can fly to the moon and drink the Pokari Sweat themselves.
Unless the Martians beat them to it, of course.
But while Pokari Sweat may be the first beverage on the moon, it won't be the first in space. Check out my previous blog for other zero-gravity adventures for the industry.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) is planning to roll out new Monster energy drinks in Europe, ahead of its expected bottler merger in the region....
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
It's good to be in the bottled water business. According to Canadean, packaged water sales are expected to drive almost all of the net growth in beverage consumption over the next five years in the US...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends