Blog: One small step for a can - Pokari Sweat heads to the moon
Andy Morton | 16 May 2014
Japanese beverage firm Otsuka Pharmaceutical is claiming a world-first with plans to send a can of its Pokari Sweat to the moon.
According to a press release, the company will piggyback the specially-reinforced can on the first private moon landing project, due to blast off from Florida in May next year. But there are no plans for a return flight - Otsuka says it wants to inspire youngsters to become astronauts so they can fly to the moon and drink the Pokari Sweat themselves.
Unless the Martians beat them to it, of course.
But while Pokari Sweat may be the first beverage on the moon, it won't be the first in space. Check out my previous blog for other zero-gravity adventures for the industry.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review