Blog: One small step for a can - Pokari Sweat heads to the moon
Andy Morton | 16 May 2014
Japanese beverage firm Otsuka Pharmaceutical is claiming a world-first with plans to send a can of its Pokari Sweat to the moon.
According to a press release, the company will piggyback the specially-reinforced can on the first private moon landing project, due to blast off from Florida in May next year. But there are no plans for a return flight - Otsuka says it wants to inspire youngsters to become astronauts so they can fly to the moon and drink the Pokari Sweat themselves.
Unless the Martians beat them to it, of course.
But while Pokari Sweat may be the first beverage on the moon, it won't be the first in space. Check out my previous blog for other zero-gravity adventures for the industry.
Sectors: Soft drinks
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
The Double Cola Co has released a limited edition flavour extension to its Ski soft drink brand in the US....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets