Blog: One for the road? Or two? Three? Four?
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 September 2004
So, have you had enough? How much is too much? And would you be able to drive home?
A recent survey of 2,157 drivers in the UK for insurance company Churchill found that over 90% of motorists do not know the legal driving limits.
And with UK pubs increasingly serving wine in large 250-millilitre glasses, rather than standard 175-millilitre measures, and promotional offers often meaning spirits come in 35-millilitre measures rather than the traditional 25 millilitres, it would appear that confusion abounds on the roads of the UK.
Only one in five wine drinkers knew a standard glass of wine is 175 millilitres (two units of alcohol), and one in 10 spirits drinkers knew a standard measure is 25 millilitres (one unit).
The survey also found that 93% of female drivers, compared with 88% of male drivers, did not know the legal limit for alcohol consumption (the limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood). Some people can reach the limit after two units whereas for others it can be double that amount.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Wines of the Beautiful South Ups its Game
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Bacardi-Martini appoints Southern Europe chief
- William Grant gives Sailor Jerry pack revamp