Blog: One for the road? Or two? Three? Four?
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 September 2004
So, have you had enough? How much is too much? And would you be able to drive home?
A recent survey of 2,157 drivers in the UK for insurance company Churchill found that over 90% of motorists do not know the legal driving limits.
And with UK pubs increasingly serving wine in large 250-millilitre glasses, rather than standard 175-millilitre measures, and promotional offers often meaning spirits come in 35-millilitre measures rather than the traditional 25 millilitres, it would appear that confusion abounds on the roads of the UK.
Only one in five wine drinkers knew a standard glass of wine is 175 millilitres (two units of alcohol), and one in 10 spirits drinkers knew a standard measure is 25 millilitres (one unit).
The survey also found that 93% of female drivers, compared with 88% of male drivers, did not know the legal limit for alcohol consumption (the limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood). Some people can reach the limit after two units whereas for others it can be double that amount.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
UK brewer Timothy Taylor is back in the headlines after winning 'Champion Beer of Britain' at the Great British Beer Festival (GBBF) today. ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Guinness, Campari, Vitaminwater and Treasury Wine Estates....
Last week C&C Group wasn't best pleased when Polish advertising laws banned it from using it Magners logo on Celtic Football Club's kit for the team's Champions League qualifying match against Legia W...
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- just The Preview - Carlsberg's Q2 & H1
- just The Preview - Heineken's H1 & Q2
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Bacardi sees North America president step down
- Constellation recalls Corona over glass threat