Blog: One for the road? Or two? Three? Four?
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 September 2004
So, have you had enough? How much is too much? And would you be able to drive home?
A recent survey of 2,157 drivers in the UK for insurance company Churchill found that over 90% of motorists do not know the legal driving limits.
And with UK pubs increasingly serving wine in large 250-millilitre glasses, rather than standard 175-millilitre measures, and promotional offers often meaning spirits come in 35-millilitre measures rather than the traditional 25 millilitres, it would appear that confusion abounds on the roads of the UK.
Only one in five wine drinkers knew a standard glass of wine is 175 millilitres (two units of alcohol), and one in 10 spirits drinkers knew a standard measure is 25 millilitres (one unit).
The survey also found that 93% of female drivers, compared with 88% of male drivers, did not know the legal limit for alcohol consumption (the limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood). Some people can reach the limit after two units whereas for others it can be double that amount.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts