Blog: On the floor at Vinexpo
Olly Wehring | 24 June 2009
There is one undisputable thing that Vinexpo has over the London International Wine Fair, and that is the sunshine. It is scorching down here.
At least, that's what just-drinks hears. Naturally, I've spent most of today under the artificial lights of Vinexpo's vast array of stands.
Unlike two of the journalist fraternity, who were spotted snoozing away on the acrylic press office chairs mid-afternoon. Empty glasses were within an arm's reach, so draw your own conclusions.
Chatter on the floor today has focused much on the fact that the halls are noticeably quieter. As one exhibitor put it, "it's been pretty dead at times". It must also be said that there is a noticeable lack of our antipodean cousins. A novice would be forgiven for asking whether Australia and New Zealand really make wine.
But, the vast majority of exhibitors interrogated by just-drinks have been very positive about the quality of visitors and the interest that they have received.
And, Vinexpo is very keen to point out that 2009 has heralded the arrival of many new wine producing countries, including Egypt and Madagascar.
One high contender for quote of the day comes from one of the head winemakers at a large company here. "Biodynamic wines are 60% science and 40% Harry Potter," he said, requesting anonymity.
Check just-drinks.com tomorrow (25 June) for more news from the show.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research