Blog: On the floor at Vinexpo
Olly Wehring | 24 June 2009
There is one undisputable thing that Vinexpo has over the London International Wine Fair, and that is the sunshine. It is scorching down here.
At least, that's what just-drinks hears. Naturally, I've spent most of today under the artificial lights of Vinexpo's vast array of stands.
Unlike two of the journalist fraternity, who were spotted snoozing away on the acrylic press office chairs mid-afternoon. Empty glasses were within an arm's reach, so draw your own conclusions.
Chatter on the floor today has focused much on the fact that the halls are noticeably quieter. As one exhibitor put it, "it's been pretty dead at times". It must also be said that there is a noticeable lack of our antipodean cousins. A novice would be forgiven for asking whether Australia and New Zealand really make wine.
But, the vast majority of exhibitors interrogated by just-drinks have been very positive about the quality of visitors and the interest that they have received.
And, Vinexpo is very keen to point out that 2009 has heralded the arrival of many new wine producing countries, including Egypt and Madagascar.
One high contender for quote of the day comes from one of the head winemakers at a large company here. "Biodynamic wines are 60% science and 40% Harry Potter," he said, requesting anonymity.
Check just-drinks.com tomorrow (25 June) for more news from the show.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends