Blog: On the floor at Vinexpo
Olly Wehring | 24 June 2009
There is one undisputable thing that Vinexpo has over the London International Wine Fair, and that is the sunshine. It is scorching down here.
At least, that's what just-drinks hears. Naturally, I've spent most of today under the artificial lights of Vinexpo's vast array of stands.
Unlike two of the journalist fraternity, who were spotted snoozing away on the acrylic press office chairs mid-afternoon. Empty glasses were within an arm's reach, so draw your own conclusions.
Chatter on the floor today has focused much on the fact that the halls are noticeably quieter. As one exhibitor put it, "it's been pretty dead at times". It must also be said that there is a noticeable lack of our antipodean cousins. A novice would be forgiven for asking whether Australia and New Zealand really make wine.
But, the vast majority of exhibitors interrogated by just-drinks have been very positive about the quality of visitors and the interest that they have received.
And, Vinexpo is very keen to point out that 2009 has heralded the arrival of many new wine producing countries, including Egypt and Madagascar.
One high contender for quote of the day comes from one of the head winemakers at a large company here. "Biodynamic wines are 60% science and 40% Harry Potter," he said, requesting anonymity.
Check just-drinks.com tomorrow (25 June) for more news from the show.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends