Blog: On the floor at LIWF
Chris Mercer | 17 May 2011
The London International Wine Fair (LIWF) is in full swing today (17 May) and we've been combing the floor to bring you all the latest.
The UK may no longer be considered the most important wine market, but an awful lot of people still want to sell here - that's the message from the grassroots of the trade here at LIWF.
One piece of interest that caught my eye this morning is the growth in Brazilian wine exports. Wines of Brazil are here for the first time, just as the UK has pipped the US and the largest market for Brazilian wines.
I'm off to see Wines of Brazil on Thursday, so no doubt we can put more meat on the bones after that. But, the figures look impressive. The country is looking to almost double exports of premium bottled wine in 2011.
Could we be looking at a new rival for Chile and Argentina?
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends