Blog: Olly Wehring, coming to a screen near you
Olly Wehring | 29 January 2009
As many of our UK readers will have seen today, England's chief medical officer has advised parents that children aged under 15 should never be given alcohol, even in small quantities.
Sir Liam Donaldson said childhood should be an "alcohol-free time", as ministers prepare to publish guidance on the issue for the first time.
It is legal for parents to give a child over five alcohol in the home in the UK and the guidance is not expected to become law, but this still remains a contentious issue.
Many point to countries such as France and Italy where wine is more routinely given to children as part of their diet. The argument goes that by overseeing your child's introduction to alcohol in small quantities you can "de-mystify" it and teach respect for drink.
But supporters of Sir Liam point to rising rates of binge-drinking and alcohol-related liver disease in the young and see the guideline as a necessary step in preventing people getting a taste for alcohol at too young an age.
This is a hugely complex issue, with attitudes to drink deeply embedded in national culture, and Sir Liam's recommendations may appear a blunt tool in the fight to curb alchol abuse. Nonetheless, much more than is presently being done needs to occur and the government clearly feels it needs to give direction.
For those interested in this debate, just-drinks, in the guise of managing editor Olly Wehring, will be appearing on Channel Four News at Midday today to try and make some sense of it all. Keep an eye out for the interview and let us know what you think.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends