Blog: Olly Wehring, coming to a screen near you
Olly Wehring | 29 January 2009
As many of our UK readers will have seen today, England's chief medical officer has advised parents that children aged under 15 should never be given alcohol, even in small quantities.
Sir Liam Donaldson said childhood should be an "alcohol-free time", as ministers prepare to publish guidance on the issue for the first time.
It is legal for parents to give a child over five alcohol in the home in the UK and the guidance is not expected to become law, but this still remains a contentious issue.
Many point to countries such as France and Italy where wine is more routinely given to children as part of their diet. The argument goes that by overseeing your child's introduction to alcohol in small quantities you can "de-mystify" it and teach respect for drink.
But supporters of Sir Liam point to rising rates of binge-drinking and alcohol-related liver disease in the young and see the guideline as a necessary step in preventing people getting a taste for alcohol at too young an age.
This is a hugely complex issue, with attitudes to drink deeply embedded in national culture, and Sir Liam's recommendations may appear a blunt tool in the fight to curb alchol abuse. Nonetheless, much more than is presently being done needs to occur and the government clearly feels it needs to give direction.
For those interested in this debate, just-drinks, in the guise of managing editor Olly Wehring, will be appearing on Channel Four News at Midday today to try and make some sense of it all. Keep an eye out for the interview and let us know what you think.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends