Blog: Oldest Scotch in the world finds its way home
Olly Wehring | 1 December 2006
A bottle of Scotch whisky - billed as possibly the oldest in existence - was sold this week in London, to a Scottish buyer.
After days of media hype and ten minutes of "fierce international bidding", applause followed as it was SOLD to the person on line three with a presumably large bank account.
The anonymous Scotland-based telephone bidder paid GBP14,850 (US$29,229) for the Glenavon Special Liqueur Whisky, bottled between 1851 and 1858.
Auctioneer Bonhams described the liquid inside as pale gold, although you might secretly hope for complimentary diamond-encrusted glasses after such an investment.
In fairness, the angel had only taken its timid share, with the whisky level still almost to the neck of the bottle, which was slightly smaller than the familiar 75cl size and made from olive-green glass.
The sale may not be a record, with the last bottle of 1926 Macallan malt whisky going for US$75,100 last September, but this is of little consequence to the Irish family who kept the Glenavon Scotch for three generations and can now build a small distillery of their own with the winnings.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review