Blog: Oldest Scotch in the world finds its way home
Olly Wehring | 1 December 2006
A bottle of Scotch whisky - billed as possibly the oldest in existence - was sold this week in London, to a Scottish buyer.
After days of media hype and ten minutes of "fierce international bidding", applause followed as it was SOLD to the person on line three with a presumably large bank account.
The anonymous Scotland-based telephone bidder paid GBP14,850 (US$29,229) for the Glenavon Special Liqueur Whisky, bottled between 1851 and 1858.
Auctioneer Bonhams described the liquid inside as pale gold, although you might secretly hope for complimentary diamond-encrusted glasses after such an investment.
In fairness, the angel had only taken its timid share, with the whisky level still almost to the neck of the bottle, which was slightly smaller than the familiar 75cl size and made from olive-green glass.
The sale may not be a record, with the last bottle of 1926 Macallan malt whisky going for US$75,100 last September, but this is of little consequence to the Irish family who kept the Glenavon Scotch for three generations and can now build a small distillery of their own with the winnings.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets