Blog: Oldest Scotch in the world finds its way home
Olly Wehring | 1 December 2006
A bottle of Scotch whisky - billed as possibly the oldest in existence - was sold this week in London, to a Scottish buyer.
After days of media hype and ten minutes of "fierce international bidding", applause followed as it was SOLD to the person on line three with a presumably large bank account.
The anonymous Scotland-based telephone bidder paid GBP14,850 (US$29,229) for the Glenavon Special Liqueur Whisky, bottled between 1851 and 1858.
Auctioneer Bonhams described the liquid inside as pale gold, although you might secretly hope for complimentary diamond-encrusted glasses after such an investment.
In fairness, the angel had only taken its timid share, with the whisky level still almost to the neck of the bottle, which was slightly smaller than the familiar 75cl size and made from olive-green glass.
The sale may not be a record, with the last bottle of 1926 Macallan malt whisky going for US$75,100 last September, but this is of little consequence to the Irish family who kept the Glenavon Scotch for three generations and can now build a small distillery of their own with the winnings.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research