Blog: Oldest Scotch in the world finds its way home
Olly Wehring | 1 December 2006
A bottle of Scotch whisky - billed as possibly the oldest in existence - was sold this week in London, to a Scottish buyer.
After days of media hype and ten minutes of "fierce international bidding", applause followed as it was SOLD to the person on line three with a presumably large bank account.
The anonymous Scotland-based telephone bidder paid GBP14,850 (US$29,229) for the Glenavon Special Liqueur Whisky, bottled between 1851 and 1858.
Auctioneer Bonhams described the liquid inside as pale gold, although you might secretly hope for complimentary diamond-encrusted glasses after such an investment.
In fairness, the angel had only taken its timid share, with the whisky level still almost to the neck of the bottle, which was slightly smaller than the familiar 75cl size and made from olive-green glass.
The sale may not be a record, with the last bottle of 1926 Macallan malt whisky going for US$75,100 last September, but this is of little consequence to the Irish family who kept the Glenavon Scotch for three generations and can now build a small distillery of their own with the winnings.
Yesterday was long. Very, very long. What started with an alarm in London at 0530 GMT ended with a Bacardi eight-year-old nightcap in Puerto Rico at 0730 GMT the following morning....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts