Blog: Old master of the New World
Olly Wehring | 10 April 2006
A warm, slightly gloating welcome to the beginning of your week from Mendoza in Argentina. I’ve been dragged, kicking and screaming, to this staggering country by its wine trade body, Wines of Argentina. If they pull anything like this again, I’m telling my dad.
It’s been an eye-opening few days. Having spent the last two-and-a-half years writing about the country’s wine exploits, it’s been a pleasure to put faces to names. In fact, it’s been one pleasant surprise after another.
One surprise – to me at least – is the heritage Argentina’s wine industry can boast of, that flies in the face of its New World moniker. Having been making wine for around 150 years, and boasting a per capita wine consumption at one point of around 90 litres, the term New World looks like an oxymoron to me – and indeed to them.
The country’s winemakers take great pride in the legacy their country carries, and having been on the international stage for only nine years, the fifth-largest wine producing nation could be perfectly poised to exploit Old World dramas and Australian crises.
With apologies for this wine-soaked missive, last week’s big story was the eventual sale of Vincor International to Constellation Brands. Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but, like many, I could never see the US wine giant take Vincor’s initial snub last year so quietly. For further musings on the first big wine buy of the year, check our Hot Topics section.
Meanwhile, all this fun has got me quite exhausted, so I’m off for a fortnight’s holiday around the rest of Argentina. Recommendations of what to do and where to go are all gratefully received at the usual address.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends