Blog: Ol' blue eyes has a new excuse for drinking
Lucy Britner | 6 July 2015
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it.
When asked about his philosophy of life, he told a reporter: "Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquillizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels."
All this time, I thought it was the hedonistic lifestyle of a Hollywood high-flyer that gave him legendary status in the booze stakes, but it might just have been those baby blues.
In the latest Daily Mail headline-worthy study about alcohol and us humans, scientists have discovered a link between people with blue eyes and alcohol dependence.
The study, published in the American Journal of Medical Genetics: Neuropsychiatric Genetics (Part B), found that European Americans with light-coloured eyes had a higher incidence of alcohol dependency than those with dark brown eyes, with the strongest tendency among blue-eyed people.
According to a press release, the study outlines the genetic components that determine eye colour and shows that they line up along the same chromosome as the genes related to excessive alcohol use.
Perhaps there will be lots more staring into people's eyes at the next industry event...
And they're brown, in case you're wondering.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Moet Hennessy's Glenmorangie Co has unveiled the oldest iteration of its namesake single malt Scotch whisky brand....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research