Blog: Ol' blue eyes has a new excuse for drinking
Lucy Britner | 6 July 2015
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it.
When asked about his philosophy of life, he told a reporter: "Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquillizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels."
All this time, I thought it was the hedonistic lifestyle of a Hollywood high-flyer that gave him legendary status in the booze stakes, but it might just have been those baby blues.
In the latest Daily Mail headline-worthy study about alcohol and us humans, scientists have discovered a link between people with blue eyes and alcohol dependence.
The study, published in the American Journal of Medical Genetics: Neuropsychiatric Genetics (Part B), found that European Americans with light-coloured eyes had a higher incidence of alcohol dependency than those with dark brown eyes, with the strongest tendency among blue-eyed people.
According to a press release, the study outlines the genetic components that determine eye colour and shows that they line up along the same chromosome as the genes related to excessive alcohol use.
Perhaps there will be lots more staring into people's eyes at the next industry event...
And they're brown, in case you're wondering.
Pernod Ricard has introduced a new Absolut vodka flavour to the US market. ...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends