Blog: Oktoberfest - 200 years old and still going strong
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 September 2010
It is the 200th anniversary of Oktoberfest this year, one of the great events in the drinks calendar that takes place every year, largely in, well...September.
The first Oktoberfest was held in the year 1810 in honour of the Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig's marriage to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. The festivities began on 12 October, 1810 and ended on 17 October with a horse race. In the following years, the celebrations were repeated and, later, the festival was prolonged and moved forward into September.
The reason, organisers say, was for the better weather conditions in September. However, the last Oktoberfest weekend remains in October.
If you have never been you really should. It remains a wonderful celebration of Bavarian culture, food and, of course, drink. The world's largest fair, it attracts over 6m people each year, who consume close to 7m litres of beer and nearly 150,000 pairs of pork sausages. The result of this is that some 878 metres of urinals are in constant use and lost property points are kept more than busy with 4,000 items passing through their doors including, 260 pairs of glasses, 200 mobile phones, wedding rings, and even crutches, according to the festival's entry on wikipedia.
For those of you who can't make it this year, here are a collection of images from the festivities so far.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018