Blog: Oktoberfest - 200 years old and still going strong
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 September 2010
It is the 200th anniversary of Oktoberfest this year, one of the great events in the drinks calendar that takes place every year, largely in, well...September.
The first Oktoberfest was held in the year 1810 in honour of the Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig's marriage to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. The festivities began on 12 October, 1810 and ended on 17 October with a horse race. In the following years, the celebrations were repeated and, later, the festival was prolonged and moved forward into September.
The reason, organisers say, was for the better weather conditions in September. However, the last Oktoberfest weekend remains in October.
If you have never been you really should. It remains a wonderful celebration of Bavarian culture, food and, of course, drink. The world's largest fair, it attracts over 6m people each year, who consume close to 7m litres of beer and nearly 150,000 pairs of pork sausages. The result of this is that some 878 metres of urinals are in constant use and lost property points are kept more than busy with 4,000 items passing through their doors including, 260 pairs of glasses, 200 mobile phones, wedding rings, and even crutches, according to the festival's entry on wikipedia.
For those of you who can't make it this year, here are a collection of images from the festivities so far.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits