Blog: Oktoberfest - 200 years old and still going strong
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 September 2010
It is the 200th anniversary of Oktoberfest this year, one of the great events in the drinks calendar that takes place every year, largely in, well...September.
The first Oktoberfest was held in the year 1810 in honour of the Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig's marriage to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. The festivities began on 12 October, 1810 and ended on 17 October with a horse race. In the following years, the celebrations were repeated and, later, the festival was prolonged and moved forward into September.
The reason, organisers say, was for the better weather conditions in September. However, the last Oktoberfest weekend remains in October.
If you have never been you really should. It remains a wonderful celebration of Bavarian culture, food and, of course, drink. The world's largest fair, it attracts over 6m people each year, who consume close to 7m litres of beer and nearly 150,000 pairs of pork sausages. The result of this is that some 878 metres of urinals are in constant use and lost property points are kept more than busy with 4,000 items passing through their doors including, 260 pairs of glasses, 200 mobile phones, wedding rings, and even crutches, according to the festival's entry on wikipedia.
For those of you who can't make it this year, here are a collection of images from the festivities so far.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- How has craft beer put the squeeze on world beers?
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Heineken signs JV deal in Philippines
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends