Blog: Oktoberfest - 200 years old and still going strong
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 September 2010
It is the 200th anniversary of Oktoberfest this year, one of the great events in the drinks calendar that takes place every year, largely in, well...September.
The first Oktoberfest was held in the year 1810 in honour of the Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig's marriage to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. The festivities began on 12 October, 1810 and ended on 17 October with a horse race. In the following years, the celebrations were repeated and, later, the festival was prolonged and moved forward into September.
The reason, organisers say, was for the better weather conditions in September. However, the last Oktoberfest weekend remains in October.
If you have never been you really should. It remains a wonderful celebration of Bavarian culture, food and, of course, drink. The world's largest fair, it attracts over 6m people each year, who consume close to 7m litres of beer and nearly 150,000 pairs of pork sausages. The result of this is that some 878 metres of urinals are in constant use and lost property points are kept more than busy with 4,000 items passing through their doors including, 260 pairs of glasses, 200 mobile phones, wedding rings, and even crutches, according to the festival's entry on wikipedia.
For those of you who can't make it this year, here are a collection of images from the festivities so far.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research