Blog: “Oi, did you know...?”
Olly Wehring | 5 June 2009
We all like facts. Facts are good. Facts are our friends. You won't go far wrong with facts.
So, what better way to idle away the last few hours of the working week than by learning some facts to dazzle your pals with when you get to the pub later?
Well, just-drinks is always here to help.
Alcohol charity Drinkaware has this week released a raft of alcohol-related facts, designed to “help dispel myths and present the honest facts about alcohol”.
So, get your pens out:
- A bottle of wine contains an average of 600 grapes.
- A GBP105,000 bottle of 1787 Chateau Lafitte Claret engraved with the initials of Thomas Jefferson is the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold.
- The gas inside a bottle of Champagne exerts three times the amount of air pressure in a car tyre.
- Between 2% and 5% of consumed alcohol leaves the body through breath and sweat.
- The medical term for a hangover is ‘veisalgia’.
- There are between 44m and 57m bubbles in a standard 750ml bottle of Champagne, once opened.
- For a whisky to be a ‘Scotch’, it should be distilled in Scotland and aged three years and one day.
- The first health warning to appear on a bottle of alcohol was in 1751.
Have a relaxing weekend.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends