Blog: “Oi, did you know...?”
Olly Wehring | 5 June 2009
We all like facts. Facts are good. Facts are our friends. You won't go far wrong with facts.
So, what better way to idle away the last few hours of the working week than by learning some facts to dazzle your pals with when you get to the pub later?
Well, just-drinks is always here to help.
Alcohol charity Drinkaware has this week released a raft of alcohol-related facts, designed to “help dispel myths and present the honest facts about alcohol”.
So, get your pens out:
- A bottle of wine contains an average of 600 grapes.
- A GBP105,000 bottle of 1787 Chateau Lafitte Claret engraved with the initials of Thomas Jefferson is the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold.
- The gas inside a bottle of Champagne exerts three times the amount of air pressure in a car tyre.
- Between 2% and 5% of consumed alcohol leaves the body through breath and sweat.
- The medical term for a hangover is ‘veisalgia’.
- There are between 44m and 57m bubbles in a standard 750ml bottle of Champagne, once opened.
- For a whisky to be a ‘Scotch’, it should be distilled in Scotland and aged three years and one day.
- The first health warning to appear on a bottle of alcohol was in 1751.
Have a relaxing weekend.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends