Blog: “Oi, did you know...?”
Olly Wehring | 5 June 2009
We all like facts. Facts are good. Facts are our friends. You won't go far wrong with facts.
So, what better way to idle away the last few hours of the working week than by learning some facts to dazzle your pals with when you get to the pub later?
Well, just-drinks is always here to help.
Alcohol charity Drinkaware has this week released a raft of alcohol-related facts, designed to “help dispel myths and present the honest facts about alcohol”.
So, get your pens out:
- A bottle of wine contains an average of 600 grapes.
- A GBP105,000 bottle of 1787 Chateau Lafitte Claret engraved with the initials of Thomas Jefferson is the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold.
- The gas inside a bottle of Champagne exerts three times the amount of air pressure in a car tyre.
- Between 2% and 5% of consumed alcohol leaves the body through breath and sweat.
- The medical term for a hangover is ‘veisalgia’.
- There are between 44m and 57m bubbles in a standard 750ml bottle of Champagne, once opened.
- For a whisky to be a ‘Scotch’, it should be distilled in Scotland and aged three years and one day.
- The first health warning to appear on a bottle of alcohol was in 1751.
Have a relaxing weekend.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World