Blog: “Oi, did you know...?”
Olly Wehring | 5 June 2009
We all like facts. Facts are good. Facts are our friends. You won't go far wrong with facts.
So, what better way to idle away the last few hours of the working week than by learning some facts to dazzle your pals with when you get to the pub later?
Well, just-drinks is always here to help.
Alcohol charity Drinkaware has this week released a raft of alcohol-related facts, designed to “help dispel myths and present the honest facts about alcohol”.
So, get your pens out:
- A bottle of wine contains an average of 600 grapes.
- A GBP105,000 bottle of 1787 Chateau Lafitte Claret engraved with the initials of Thomas Jefferson is the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold.
- The gas inside a bottle of Champagne exerts three times the amount of air pressure in a car tyre.
- Between 2% and 5% of consumed alcohol leaves the body through breath and sweat.
- The medical term for a hangover is ‘veisalgia’.
- There are between 44m and 57m bubbles in a standard 750ml bottle of Champagne, once opened.
- For a whisky to be a ‘Scotch’, it should be distilled in Scotland and aged three years and one day.
- The first health warning to appear on a bottle of alcohol was in 1751.
Have a relaxing weekend.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- The European beer market - Focus
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row