Blog: Oddbins facing uncertain future
Chris Mercer | 2 March 2011
We've had an interesting week chasing down speculation in the financial world on the future of Oddbins, the UK wine retailer.
Today, just-drinks broke the news that Oddbins has brought in consultants to examine "strategic options" for the group going forward. Our sources have told us that the retailer had a pretty torrid Christmas, while a court dispute with its previous owner, Castel Freres, is also putting financial pressure on the company.
Although Oddbins has done well to reduce losses since Simon Baile bought the firm from Castel in 2008, its financial situation has recently deteriorated, just-drinks has been told.
The next week should provide greater clarity on the group's position, so stay tuned.
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Whisk(e)y leads vodka in US, but for how long?
- Wine in the UK: Tell Us Something We Don't Know
- Sustainability in Spirits - Part I
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Formula One presence
- Diageo settles Explorers Club trademark dispute
- A-B InBev shakes up Euro units, UK head steps down
- Bacardi lifts curtain on Bombay Sapphire distiller