Blog: Oddbins facing uncertain future
Chris Mercer | 2 March 2011
We've had an interesting week chasing down speculation in the financial world on the future of Oddbins, the UK wine retailer.
Today, just-drinks broke the news that Oddbins has brought in consultants to examine "strategic options" for the group going forward. Our sources have told us that the retailer had a pretty torrid Christmas, while a court dispute with its previous owner, Castel Freres, is also putting financial pressure on the company.
Although Oddbins has done well to reduce losses since Simon Baile bought the firm from Castel in 2008, its financial situation has recently deteriorated, just-drinks has been told.
The next week should provide greater clarity on the group's position, so stay tuned.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018