Blog: Oddbins facing uncertain future
Chris Mercer | 2 March 2011
We've had an interesting week chasing down speculation in the financial world on the future of Oddbins, the UK wine retailer.
Today, just-drinks broke the news that Oddbins has brought in consultants to examine "strategic options" for the group going forward. Our sources have told us that the retailer had a pretty torrid Christmas, while a court dispute with its previous owner, Castel Freres, is also putting financial pressure on the company.
Although Oddbins has done well to reduce losses since Simon Baile bought the firm from Castel in 2008, its financial situation has recently deteriorated, just-drinks has been told.
The next week should provide greater clarity on the group's position, so stay tuned.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part V: Wine
- just Five Years Ago - Belvedere Group's Bumpy Ride
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part IV
- Campari to bag EUR19m with "non-core" assets sale
- Pernod wins consent for Glenlivet upgrade
- Tequila set for export boost after record 2014
- Pernod agrees Caribe Cooler sale to Grupo Bepensa
- Crimson Wine Group appoints new CEO