Blog: Oddbins facing uncertain future
Chris Mercer | 2 March 2011
We've had an interesting week chasing down speculation in the financial world on the future of Oddbins, the UK wine retailer.
Today, just-drinks broke the news that Oddbins has brought in consultants to examine "strategic options" for the group going forward. Our sources have told us that the retailer had a pretty torrid Christmas, while a court dispute with its previous owner, Castel Freres, is also putting financial pressure on the company.
Although Oddbins has done well to reduce losses since Simon Baile bought the firm from Castel in 2008, its financial situation has recently deteriorated, just-drinks has been told.
The next week should provide greater clarity on the group's position, so stay tuned.
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win. ...
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Focus - SABMiller's Q1 Performance by Region
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- Brazil could have been worse - Coca-Cola Co CEO
- Analysis - Coca-Cola fails confidence test
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman
- Sales, profits fall at Moet Hennessy in H1
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk