Blog: Oddbins facing uncertain future
Chris Mercer | 2 March 2011
We've had an interesting week chasing down speculation in the financial world on the future of Oddbins, the UK wine retailer.
Today, just-drinks broke the news that Oddbins has brought in consultants to examine "strategic options" for the group going forward. Our sources have told us that the retailer had a pretty torrid Christmas, while a court dispute with its previous owner, Castel Freres, is also putting financial pressure on the company.
Although Oddbins has done well to reduce losses since Simon Baile bought the firm from Castel in 2008, its financial situation has recently deteriorated, just-drinks has been told.
The next week should provide greater clarity on the group's position, so stay tuned.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends