Blog: O2 be in England
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 March 2004
In the cutthroat world of advertising, where everything has a price, the opportunity to get your name under public noses for as cheaply as possible is never to be sniffed at.
Vodka O2, the world’s first sparkling vodka, launches in the UK later this month, with a logo startlingly similar to the mobile ‘phone company of the same name. The fact that O2 mobile sponsor the World Cup winning England rugby squad must have Vodka O2 MD Philip Maitland rubbing his hands with glee. Shortly after he registered the trademark, a friend commented on his impressive advertising. Maitland’s answer: “What advertising?”
The fact that Vodka O2 is sparkling, and the O2 mobile logo also has bubbles, surely warrants a celebratory shot.
Heavy metal legend Bruce Dickinson - lead singer of the band Iron Maiden, for the unitiated - is clearly a man not afraid to get his hands dirty. ...
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously. ...
Does Pernod Ricard have something to hide? In a press conference after the release of full-year results today, only a quarter of the 100 minutes were given over to questions from journalists....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
- Allegro: The shape of things to come at Pernod?
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's Allegro cost-saving programme
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Pernod Ricard set for CMO switch
- Scotch whisky leaders sign pro-UK letter
- Wine Australia reports death of UK, Europe boss