Blog: No smoke across the water
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 June 2004
I have just got back from a short holiday to Ireland with eight friends. Sitting in a pub yesterday enjoying the last Guinness of the break, one of the group suddenly said: “You know, it’s not smoky in here at all.”
Perhaps it is surprising that it had taken three days and a number of similar establishments to realise we had been drinking in officially smoke-free pubs all weekend, following the ban in Ireland on smoking in public places. More surprising was that all of us agreed that, on some subconscious level, we had noticed something pleasantly different.
Of course, its easy for a group of non-smokers to feel that way, but coincidently I picked up a copy of the Irish Times on the ferry on the way home and a leader column was extolling the virtues of the new law too. It reported that, in a survey by the Office of Tobacco Control, of 7,500 premises surveyed, 97% were complying with the new law. It also said that the premises had not seen a noticeable drop off in trading. Indeed, non-smokers were now more likely to visit pubs while smokers were no less likely to drop in.
Though I realise these figures, given the source, are unlikely to reflect the full picture, they are encouraging nonetheless and I suspect will add fuel to the calls in the rest of Europe for a similar ban.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends