Blog: No smoke across the water
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 June 2004
I have just got back from a short holiday to Ireland with eight friends. Sitting in a pub yesterday enjoying the last Guinness of the break, one of the group suddenly said: “You know, it’s not smoky in here at all.”
Perhaps it is surprising that it had taken three days and a number of similar establishments to realise we had been drinking in officially smoke-free pubs all weekend, following the ban in Ireland on smoking in public places. More surprising was that all of us agreed that, on some subconscious level, we had noticed something pleasantly different.
Of course, its easy for a group of non-smokers to feel that way, but coincidently I picked up a copy of the Irish Times on the ferry on the way home and a leader column was extolling the virtues of the new law too. It reported that, in a survey by the Office of Tobacco Control, of 7,500 premises surveyed, 97% were complying with the new law. It also said that the premises had not seen a noticeable drop off in trading. Indeed, non-smokers were now more likely to visit pubs while smokers were no less likely to drop in.
Though I realise these figures, given the source, are unlikely to reflect the full picture, they are encouraging nonetheless and I suspect will add fuel to the calls in the rest of Europe for a similar ban.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends