Blog: No punches pulled in low-abv wine review
Andy Morton | 13 June 2014
A review of low-abv and low-calorie wine brands in UK national newspaper The Guardian yesterday (12 June) suggests producers still have much to do if they want the growing category to stick around.
Of the ten wines covered, none scored more than 1.7 out of five, while five received no points at all. Comments from Zoe Williams, one of the newspaper's columnists and not a regular wine reviewer, included such insights as:
- I would use it to deglaze a pan, and, if the children were older, as a training wine. (Sainsbury's own-brand Hunter Valley bottle-aged Semillon)
- A phenomenal waste of human endeavour. (Torres Natureo de-alcoholised Muscat)
- Best served to someone who hasn't got a tongue and drinks through a straw. (Grove Manor Fruity rosé)
- As though someone has distilled the essence of a downtrodden woman with low self-esteem, then bottled it. (Weight Watchers fruity white wine)
Come on, Zoe, don't sit on the fence. Tell us what you really think!
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
This month, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor considers the blending of drinks sectors in the NPD arena....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Drinks distributor Major Brands is set to acquire fellow Missouri-based wholesaler Missouri Beverage Co (MoBev)....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- Focus - SABMiller's Q1 Performance by Region
- PepsiCo find stability but Peltz concerns linger
- NPD: Alcohol Beverage “Mash-Ups” Fuel Innovation
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Sales, profits fall at Moet Hennessy in H1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte appoints new CEO
- Molson Coors CEO to retire