Blog: No punches pulled in low-abv wine review
Andy Morton | 13 June 2014
A review of low-abv and low-calorie wine brands in UK national newspaper The Guardian yesterday (12 June) suggests producers still have much to do if they want the growing category to stick around.
Of the ten wines covered, none scored more than 1.7 out of five, while five received no points at all. Comments from Zoe Williams, one of the newspaper's columnists and not a regular wine reviewer, included such insights as:
- I would use it to deglaze a pan, and, if the children were older, as a training wine. (Sainsbury's own-brand Hunter Valley bottle-aged Semillon)
- A phenomenal waste of human endeavour. (Torres Natureo de-alcoholised Muscat)
- Best served to someone who hasn't got a tongue and drinks through a straw. (Grove Manor Fruity rosé)
- As though someone has distilled the essence of a downtrodden woman with low self-esteem, then bottled it. (Weight Watchers fruity white wine)
Come on, Zoe, don't sit on the fence. Tell us what you really think!
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
UK brewer Timothy Taylor is back in the headlines after winning 'Champion Beer of Britain' at the Great British Beer Festival (GBBF) today. ...
Oregon wine maker Ken Wright Cellars is to launch in the UK after signing an exclusive agreement with distributor the Antique Wine Company....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Guinness, Campari, Vitaminwater and Treasury Wine Estates....
Last week C&C Group wasn't best pleased when Polish advertising laws banned it from using it Magners logo on Celtic Football Club's kit for the team's Champions League qualifying match against Legia W...
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- just The Preview - Carlsberg's Q2 & H1
- Focus - Heineken's H1 Performance by Region
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Bacardi sees North America president step down
- Constellation recalls Corona over glass threat