Blog: No punches pulled in low-abv wine review
Andy Morton | 13 June 2014
A review of low-abv and low-calorie wine brands in UK national newspaper The Guardian yesterday (12 June) suggests producers still have much to do if they want the growing category to stick around.
Of the ten wines covered, none scored more than 1.7 out of five, while five received no points at all. Comments from Zoe Williams, one of the newspaper's columnists and not a regular wine reviewer, included such insights as:
- I would use it to deglaze a pan, and, if the children were older, as a training wine. (Sainsbury's own-brand Hunter Valley bottle-aged Semillon)
- A phenomenal waste of human endeavour. (Torres Natureo de-alcoholised Muscat)
- Best served to someone who hasn't got a tongue and drinks through a straw. (Grove Manor Fruity rosé)
- As though someone has distilled the essence of a downtrodden woman with low self-esteem, then bottled it. (Weight Watchers fruity white wine)
Come on, Zoe, don't sit on the fence. Tell us what you really think!
Treasury Wine Estates has renamed and repackaged its fruit wine range in the UK as it looks to bring the products in line with the Blossom Hill brand. ...
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
just-drinks is thrilled to welcome a new industry commentator to the fold. Until earlier this year, Ian Shackleton spent over 25 years as a beverages analyst with several major banks, including Credit...
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- The European beer market - Focus
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director