Blog: No punches pulled in low-abv wine review
Andy Morton | 13 June 2014
A review of low-abv and low-calorie wine brands in UK national newspaper The Guardian yesterday (12 June) suggests producers still have much to do if they want the growing category to stick around.
Of the ten wines covered, none scored more than 1.7 out of five, while five received no points at all. Comments from Zoe Williams, one of the newspaper's columnists and not a regular wine reviewer, included such insights as:
- I would use it to deglaze a pan, and, if the children were older, as a training wine. (Sainsbury's own-brand Hunter Valley bottle-aged Semillon)
- A phenomenal waste of human endeavour. (Torres Natureo de-alcoholised Muscat)
- Best served to someone who hasn't got a tongue and drinks through a straw. (Grove Manor Fruity rosé)
- As though someone has distilled the essence of a downtrodden woman with low self-esteem, then bottled it. (Weight Watchers fruity white wine)
Come on, Zoe, don't sit on the fence. Tell us what you really think!
June last year, and Adolfo Hurtado, the gregarious chief winemaker & general manager for Concha y Toro's Cono Sur, is in a sunny mood as he goes about his day at the Chilean winery....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Sogrape's UK unit has appointed Liberty Wines to handle its wine brands in the market. ...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends