Blog: No punches pulled in low-abv wine review
Andy Morton | 13 June 2014
A review of low-abv and low-calorie wine brands in UK national newspaper The Guardian yesterday (12 June) suggests producers still have much to do if they want the growing category to stick around.
Of the ten wines covered, none scored more than 1.7 out of five, while five received no points at all. Comments from Zoe Williams, one of the newspaper's columnists and not a regular wine reviewer, included such insights as:
- I would use it to deglaze a pan, and, if the children were older, as a training wine. (Sainsbury's own-brand Hunter Valley bottle-aged Semillon)
- A phenomenal waste of human endeavour. (Torres Natureo de-alcoholised Muscat)
- Best served to someone who hasn't got a tongue and drinks through a straw. (Grove Manor Fruity rosé)
- As though someone has distilled the essence of a downtrodden woman with low self-esteem, then bottled it. (Weight Watchers fruity white wine)
Come on, Zoe, don't sit on the fence. Tell us what you really think!
The UK alcoholic drinks industry has delivered on an alcohol-unit reduction pledge two years early, according to a new report. ...
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces by just-drinks' editor, Olly Wehring, ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018