Blog: No football does not a football-free just-drinks blog make
Olly Wehring | 28 June 2006
It’s the first day for over two weeks that we’re World Cup football-free, but not here at just-football, I mean, just-drinks.
The following announcements should help to calm withdrawal symptoms.
Germans are making a killing from football fans with a taste for beer - but no idea about the country’s deposit laws. Thousands of savvy Germans are collecting discarded glass and plastic bottles and aluminium cans and turning them into a healthy profit.
“Just today, I’ve made EUR80 (US$101),” Joseph Werwa, 72, told Associated Press this week as England and Sweden fans toasted their teams’ draw. “It is, simply, easy money.” Empty cans earn EUR0.15, while glass bottles are worth EUR0.08 to whoever returns them.
Meanwhile, those England fans among you who have found your national team’s performance as dull as I have, may like to see the matches repeated, courtesy of The Juice Doctor, by fruit. The grape’s injury two minutes into the game against Sweden, as well as the tall man up front (a banana, naturally) is pretty priceless.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India