Blog: No comment - but do actions speak louder than words?
Olly Wehring | 27 July 2006
Regular just-drinks readers will have noticed us getting quite excited this week as speculation linking Pernod Ricard with a Tequila company refuses to go away.
The French giant is widely thought to be in the running - along with Bacardi and Brown-Forman - to buy Tequila Herradura in Mexico. Naturally - and rather tediously - all three companies, when contacted by just-drinks this week, have refused to comment on the rumours. Pernod’s spokesman said on Tuesday: “If it were true, we would not comment, if it were not true, we still would not comment.”
So, I’d been looking forward to today’s (27 July) Pernod press conference in London, which looked at the company’s full-year results - a bit of a dig, a little root around. And what did I get? This from managing director Pierre Pringuet: “Never deny, never confirm.” So, apologies, dear reader, but I tried my best.
I will let you in on one little nugget I picked up on, though.
Monsieur Pringuet, like the rest of France, is off on his summer holidays this coming weekend. And where is he going?
That’s right - Mexico.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
A new survey released today reveals that while 50% of UK workers would choose alcohol as a Christmas present from their employees, just 7% would opt for a charity donation sent on their behalf....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research