Blog: No borders can contain the vodka wars
Olly Wehring | 11 April 2008
It appears that Vin & Sprit is not keen to let dust of any kind settle, following the announcement of its sale to Pernod Ricard last week.
The Sweden-based company hit the headlines at the beginning of this week, when an advert for its Absolut vodka brand, which ran in Mexico, provoked complaints in the neighbouring US. The ad, which centred on a redrawn map of the two countries, led to calls for a boycott of Absolut in the US.
Keen to jump on the Absolut-bashing bandwagon, Campari has followed the row by today (11 April) pushing its Skyy vodka brand as being “exceptionally proud” of being from the US.
“Like Skyy Vodka, the residents of states like California, Texas and Arizona are exceptionally proud of the fact that they are from the USA,” a spokesperson for the vodka brand said. “To imply that they might be interested in changing their mailing addresses, as our competitor seems to be suggesting in their advertising, is a bit presumptuous.”
In the ad, an ‘Absolut World’ is depicted where the map of North America is re-drawn with Mexico claiming much of the western US, negating the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848, as well as the Gadsden Purchase (1853), and the independence of Texas (1836), Skyy said.
“Don’t get me started on the Gadsden Purchase,” the spokesperson continued. “I think the folks in Tucson and Yuma would be rubbed the wrong way if they hear this landmark deal was somehow nullified as suggested by Absolut, a Swedish-owned brand.”
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends