Blog: New Year's Resolution - Buy Blavod?
Olly Wehring | 3 January 2007
It seems that now is the perfect time for a buyer to come forward and breathe life into parts of the Blavod Extreme Spirits business.
The UK-based spirits group yesterday (2 January) posted a set of mixed half-year figures with a leap in sales leading to a cut in the company’s losses.
However, Blavod chief executive Jeff Hopmayer admitted that some of the revenue growth had come at the expense of lower margins in the UK and the US due to the “heavy promotion” of Blavod black vodka. Hopmayer pointed to growing competition in the vodka categories on both sides of the Atlantic for the company’s move to support its flagship product on price.
Citing competition from rival brands is a fair point but Blavod has yet to succeed in setting its black vodka apart from the rest of the category and needs to convince consumers that they should pay a premium for a niche product.
A brand-owner has to work hard at creating awareness of its product in the on-premise. That strategy will help build a loyal following that will stay with the brand when its moves into the off-trade. However, Blavod appears to have been too keen to secure listings with large retailers in the UK and the US without first developing a durable presence in top-end bars in both markets.
The concept behind the brand could prove a successful formula; every bar in the world could have a bottle of black vodka in theory. Takeover talk has surrounded Blavod in recent months, and maybe now is the right time for a suitor to come in and put fresher ideas and greater resources into the company’s black vodka, something the brand certainly deserves.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends