Blog: New Year's Resolution - Buy Blavod?
Olly Wehring | 3 January 2007
It seems that now is the perfect time for a buyer to come forward and breathe life into parts of the Blavod Extreme Spirits business.
The UK-based spirits group yesterday (2 January) posted a set of mixed half-year figures with a leap in sales leading to a cut in the company’s losses.
However, Blavod chief executive Jeff Hopmayer admitted that some of the revenue growth had come at the expense of lower margins in the UK and the US due to the “heavy promotion” of Blavod black vodka. Hopmayer pointed to growing competition in the vodka categories on both sides of the Atlantic for the company’s move to support its flagship product on price.
Citing competition from rival brands is a fair point but Blavod has yet to succeed in setting its black vodka apart from the rest of the category and needs to convince consumers that they should pay a premium for a niche product.
A brand-owner has to work hard at creating awareness of its product in the on-premise. That strategy will help build a loyal following that will stay with the brand when its moves into the off-trade. However, Blavod appears to have been too keen to secure listings with large retailers in the UK and the US without first developing a durable presence in top-end bars in both markets.
The concept behind the brand could prove a successful formula; every bar in the world could have a bottle of black vodka in theory. Takeover talk has surrounded Blavod in recent months, and maybe now is the right time for a suitor to come in and put fresher ideas and greater resources into the company’s black vodka, something the brand certainly deserves.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research