Blog: New Coke - the movie
Andy Morton | 11 May 2015
Hot on the heels of Kidnapping Mr Heineken comes news of another explosive episode in beverage history set for the Hollywood treatment.
Last week, Deadline Hollywood reported that writers are to turn the New Coke débâcle into a script, with hopes of getting it up on the big screen. The script will be based on Thomas Oliver's book, The Real Coke, The Real Story, which charts the magnificent failure of The Coca-Cola Co's New Coke launch in the 1980s and its genesis out of the success of PepsiCo's Pepsi Challenge.
There's no word yet on who will play the lead characters (Kidnapping Mr Heineken, which details the abduction of Freddy Heineken, has Anthony Hopkins in the titular role), but the film will reportedly make the most of the 1980s period.
Expect giant shoulder pads and mobile phones the size of house bricks, then.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Experts have said drinks and brands that do not centre around one gender will drive future trends, as modern consumers look to avoid stereotypes. ...
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020