Blog: My brain is faulty
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2011
Do you like a drink at the end of your day? As most of you will know, due in no small part to my recent bleating, our five-month-old son is providing quite a bit of adventure for us. Consequently, Mrs just-drinks and I find the first gin & tonic after the boy's bedtime barely touches the sides.
It would transpire, then, that I may have faulty brain-reasoning.
A survey from UK responsible drinking body Drinkaware today suggests that people drink more to make themselves feel happier and less stressed. Of the people Drinkaware has interviewed, and I don't know how many, two thirds of women and half of men said that stress makes them reach for the bottle.
Only two thirds? Only one half?
Not only that, but [gasp] some people have more than one drink at home in the evening.
But, if you're of similar ilk, at least you can blame it on your dysfunctional brain. Psychologist Donna Dawson said: "We may know that the second or third glass of alcohol is not really needed or even desired, but the brain has already rationalised that if one glass felt good, then more will feel even better.
"What we need to do is recognise this is faulty brain-reasoning at work."
Works for me. And Mrs j-d.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Irish whisky exports forecast to double by 2020
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits