Blog: My brain is faulty
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2011
Do you like a drink at the end of your day? As most of you will know, due in no small part to my recent bleating, our five-month-old son is providing quite a bit of adventure for us. Consequently, Mrs just-drinks and I find the first gin & tonic after the boy's bedtime barely touches the sides.
It would transpire, then, that I may have faulty brain-reasoning.
A survey from UK responsible drinking body Drinkaware today suggests that people drink more to make themselves feel happier and less stressed. Of the people Drinkaware has interviewed, and I don't know how many, two thirds of women and half of men said that stress makes them reach for the bottle.
Only two thirds? Only one half?
Not only that, but [gasp] some people have more than one drink at home in the evening.
But, if you're of similar ilk, at least you can blame it on your dysfunctional brain. Psychologist Donna Dawson said: "We may know that the second or third glass of alcohol is not really needed or even desired, but the brain has already rationalised that if one glass felt good, then more will feel even better.
"What we need to do is recognise this is faulty brain-reasoning at work."
Works for me. And Mrs j-d.
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
After yesterday's introduction to Chile, today was all about Concha y Toro – that's to be expected, seeing as they invited me here....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets