Blog: My brain is faulty
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2011
Do you like a drink at the end of your day? As most of you will know, due in no small part to my recent bleating, our five-month-old son is providing quite a bit of adventure for us. Consequently, Mrs just-drinks and I find the first gin & tonic after the boy's bedtime barely touches the sides.
It would transpire, then, that I may have faulty brain-reasoning.
A survey from UK responsible drinking body Drinkaware today suggests that people drink more to make themselves feel happier and less stressed. Of the people Drinkaware has interviewed, and I don't know how many, two thirds of women and half of men said that stress makes them reach for the bottle.
Only two thirds? Only one half?
Not only that, but [gasp] some people have more than one drink at home in the evening.
But, if you're of similar ilk, at least you can blame it on your dysfunctional brain. Psychologist Donna Dawson said: "We may know that the second or third glass of alcohol is not really needed or even desired, but the brain has already rationalised that if one glass felt good, then more will feel even better.
"What we need to do is recognise this is faulty brain-reasoning at work."
Works for me. And Mrs j-d.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research