Blog: My brain is faulty
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2011
Do you like a drink at the end of your day? As most of you will know, due in no small part to my recent bleating, our five-month-old son is providing quite a bit of adventure for us. Consequently, Mrs just-drinks and I find the first gin & tonic after the boy's bedtime barely touches the sides.
It would transpire, then, that I may have faulty brain-reasoning.
A survey from UK responsible drinking body Drinkaware today suggests that people drink more to make themselves feel happier and less stressed. Of the people Drinkaware has interviewed, and I don't know how many, two thirds of women and half of men said that stress makes them reach for the bottle.
Only two thirds? Only one half?
Not only that, but [gasp] some people have more than one drink at home in the evening.
But, if you're of similar ilk, at least you can blame it on your dysfunctional brain. Psychologist Donna Dawson said: "We may know that the second or third glass of alcohol is not really needed or even desired, but the brain has already rationalised that if one glass felt good, then more will feel even better.
"What we need to do is recognise this is faulty brain-reasoning at work."
Works for me. And Mrs j-d.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends