Blog: My brain is faulty
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2011
Do you like a drink at the end of your day? As most of you will know, due in no small part to my recent bleating, our five-month-old son is providing quite a bit of adventure for us. Consequently, Mrs just-drinks and I find the first gin & tonic after the boy's bedtime barely touches the sides.
It would transpire, then, that I may have faulty brain-reasoning.
A survey from UK responsible drinking body Drinkaware today suggests that people drink more to make themselves feel happier and less stressed. Of the people Drinkaware has interviewed, and I don't know how many, two thirds of women and half of men said that stress makes them reach for the bottle.
Only two thirds? Only one half?
Not only that, but [gasp] some people have more than one drink at home in the evening.
But, if you're of similar ilk, at least you can blame it on your dysfunctional brain. Psychologist Donna Dawson said: "We may know that the second or third glass of alcohol is not really needed or even desired, but the brain has already rationalised that if one glass felt good, then more will feel even better.
"What we need to do is recognise this is faulty brain-reasoning at work."
Works for me. And Mrs j-d.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018