Blog: Mummy's brew
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 January 2004
We reported this story - in fact, I think it was Musty Bunches who picked up on it - some time last year. However, with the official release closing in, its worth a recap.
The Japanese brewer Kirin Brewery has recreated "as accurately as possible" the beer of the New Kingdom of ancient Egypt by employing an experimental archaeological technique at its brewery in Amagi.
Of all the new product launches this year to add interest to the beer category, it will probably be the strangest - and possibly one of the strongest at 10% (how did they ever get those pyramids built?).
There are no plans reported of a commercial launch and those wishing to taste the beer will have to get information from the brewery itself, although 200 "lucky" winners will be picked from a hat to taste the beer in late February. Given that the company has interpreted wall paintings illustrating the beer-making process in the New Kingdom dating from 1570-1070 BC to come up with the recipe, the results will be interesting to say the least.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review