Blog: More sabre rattling on drinks pricing...
Chris Mercer | 7 January 2010
An influential committee of MPs in the UK is set to call for a minimum price on drinks tomorrow (Friday 8 January).
The House of Commons Health Select Committee is set to publish its long-awaited report on ways to tackle alcohol misuse and excess drinking.
In it, the industry expects a recommended GBP0.5 base price per unit of alcohol, as well as measures to restrict marketing and promotions.
The Committee spent most of 2009 gathering evidence from all sources, from health groups to industry.
While its proposals will not be legally binding, the report will put alcohol firmly back in the spotlight in the build-up to a General Election in the UK - which must take place before June.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends