Blog: More sabre rattling on drinks pricing...
Chris Mercer | 7 January 2010
An influential committee of MPs in the UK is set to call for a minimum price on drinks tomorrow (Friday 8 January).
The House of Commons Health Select Committee is set to publish its long-awaited report on ways to tackle alcohol misuse and excess drinking.
In it, the industry expects a recommended GBP0.5 base price per unit of alcohol, as well as measures to restrict marketing and promotions.
The Committee spent most of 2009 gathering evidence from all sources, from health groups to industry.
While its proposals will not be legally binding, the report will put alcohol firmly back in the spotlight in the build-up to a General Election in the UK - which must take place before June.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends