Blog: Molson Coors' Sochi beer fridge: an idea with legs
James Wilmore | 12 February 2014
It must be high-fives all round among the marketing team at Molson Coors’ Canada unit.
The company’s beer fridge at the Sochi Olympics, which ingeniously only serves Molson Canadian beer to those athletes with a Canadian passport, via a scanning system, has garnered plenty of headlines - perhaps by some media outlets less inspired by the actual action at the Games.
The Canadian Olympic team helped coverage by tweeting its thanks from the group's official Twitter account.
But it’s not the first time the fridge has appeared. It was used by the brewer in a TV ad last summer, resulting in the second most watched viral video in Canada in 2013, I’m told. “As the video took off we committed to finding real world situations to seed the fridge,” a Molson Coors spokesperson said.
Apparently the chiller is in the athlete’s village for the duration of the Games.
A marketing idea that has legs, I'd say.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co has recalled bottles in 35 US states after detecting a flaw that could allow glass to break off and fall inside....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits