Blog: Molson Coors' Sochi beer fridge: an idea with legs
James Wilmore | 12 February 2014
It must be high-fives all round among the marketing team at Molson Coors’ Canada unit.
The company’s beer fridge at the Sochi Olympics, which ingeniously only serves Molson Canadian beer to those athletes with a Canadian passport, via a scanning system, has garnered plenty of headlines - perhaps by some media outlets less inspired by the actual action at the Games.
The Canadian Olympic team helped coverage by tweeting its thanks from the group's official Twitter account.
But it’s not the first time the fridge has appeared. It was used by the brewer in a TV ad last summer, resulting in the second most watched viral video in Canada in 2013, I’m told. “As the video took off we committed to finding real world situations to seed the fridge,” a Molson Coors spokesperson said.
Apparently the chiller is in the athlete’s village for the duration of the Games.
A marketing idea that has legs, I'd say.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends