Blog: Molson Coors' Sochi beer fridge: an idea with legs
James Wilmore | 12 February 2014
It must be high-fives all round among the marketing team at Molson Coors’ Canada unit.
The company’s beer fridge at the Sochi Olympics, which ingeniously only serves Molson Canadian beer to those athletes with a Canadian passport, via a scanning system, has garnered plenty of headlines - perhaps by some media outlets less inspired by the actual action at the Games.
The Canadian Olympic team helped coverage by tweeting its thanks from the group's official Twitter account.
But it’s not the first time the fridge has appeared. It was used by the brewer in a TV ad last summer, resulting in the second most watched viral video in Canada in 2013, I’m told. “As the video took off we committed to finding real world situations to seed the fridge,” a Molson Coors spokesperson said.
Apparently the chiller is in the athlete’s village for the duration of the Games.
A marketing idea that has legs, I'd say.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- Brown-Forman Q1 2017 results - Preview
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- US on-premise at "new normal" - research
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review