Blog: Molson Coors makes Sharp investment
Chris Mercer | 3 February 2011
Molson Coors' GBP20m buyout of Sharp's brewery is a vote of confidence for cask ale.
Molson Coors announced yesterday (2 February) that it has swooped on Cornwall-based Sharp's, which makes the award-winning Doom Bar ale - now widely available across much of the UK.
The move is significant because most of the UK's major brewers have been seeking to develop their super-duper-with-bells-on premium lager portfolios over the last couple of years - not to mention the odd foray into cider.
Molson is really only extending a strategy that its joint venture with SABMiller, MillerCoors, has started in the US. Namely, to capitalise on growing demand for relatively small-volume 'craft' beers.
With Doom Bar onboard, Molson could make significant inroads into the UK cask ale category. This could be a concern to middleweight brewers like Greene King, Marston's and Fuller's, as blogger Pete Brown points out in his succinct analysis of the deal.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- TWE's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Carlsberg's cost-saving plan "achieving traction"
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Full-year profits soar for Treasury Wine Estates
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages