Blog: Molson Coors makes Sharp investment
Chris Mercer | 3 February 2011
Molson Coors' GBP20m buyout of Sharp's brewery is a vote of confidence for cask ale.
Molson Coors announced yesterday (2 February) that it has swooped on Cornwall-based Sharp's, which makes the award-winning Doom Bar ale - now widely available across much of the UK.
The move is significant because most of the UK's major brewers have been seeking to develop their super-duper-with-bells-on premium lager portfolios over the last couple of years - not to mention the odd foray into cider.
Molson is really only extending a strategy that its joint venture with SABMiller, MillerCoors, has started in the US. Namely, to capitalise on growing demand for relatively small-volume 'craft' beers.
With Doom Bar onboard, Molson could make significant inroads into the UK cask ale category. This could be a concern to middleweight brewers like Greene King, Marston's and Fuller's, as blogger Pete Brown points out in his succinct analysis of the deal.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends