Blog: Molson Coors makes Sharp investment
Chris Mercer | 3 February 2011
Molson Coors' GBP20m buyout of Sharp's brewery is a vote of confidence for cask ale.
Molson Coors announced yesterday (2 February) that it has swooped on Cornwall-based Sharp's, which makes the award-winning Doom Bar ale - now widely available across much of the UK.
The move is significant because most of the UK's major brewers have been seeking to develop their super-duper-with-bells-on premium lager portfolios over the last couple of years - not to mention the odd foray into cider.
Molson is really only extending a strategy that its joint venture with SABMiller, MillerCoors, has started in the US. Namely, to capitalise on growing demand for relatively small-volume 'craft' beers.
With Doom Bar onboard, Molson could make significant inroads into the UK cask ale category. This could be a concern to middleweight brewers like Greene King, Marston's and Fuller's, as blogger Pete Brown points out in his succinct analysis of the deal.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- William Grant and Drambuie: It Had to be You
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Scottish leader speaks out over Scotch whisky
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk