Blog: Molson Coors makes Sharp investment
Chris Mercer | 3 February 2011
Molson Coors' GBP20m buyout of Sharp's brewery is a vote of confidence for cask ale.
Molson Coors announced yesterday (2 February) that it has swooped on Cornwall-based Sharp's, which makes the award-winning Doom Bar ale - now widely available across much of the UK.
The move is significant because most of the UK's major brewers have been seeking to develop their super-duper-with-bells-on premium lager portfolios over the last couple of years - not to mention the odd foray into cider.
Molson is really only extending a strategy that its joint venture with SABMiller, MillerCoors, has started in the US. Namely, to capitalise on growing demand for relatively small-volume 'craft' beers.
With Doom Bar onboard, Molson could make significant inroads into the UK cask ale category. This could be a concern to middleweight brewers like Greene King, Marston's and Fuller's, as blogger Pete Brown points out in his succinct analysis of the deal.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research