Blog: Molson Coors extinguishes the embers on Foster's?
Chris Mercer | 2 August 2011
Does Molson Coors' decision to spend US$1.2bn to buy back its own shares deliver the knockout blow to lingering thoughts about the brewer acquiring Foster's Group?
I think the answer is yes, if that blow has not been delivered already. I think we can forget about Molson's potential tilt at Foster's, whether via a tie-up with Grupo Modelo or anyone else.
It seems unlikely that Molson would have the resources to fund both.
In reality, it has been distancing itself from the Australian brewer for some time. Late last year, Molson announced it would sell its 5% stake in Foster's.
Where does the buyback leave Molson Coors' acquisition strategy? With not many big players left to buy, the group will be looking for add-ons in the emerging markets, most likely. It recently acquired the stricken Cobra beer operations in India.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends