Blog: Molson Coors extinguishes the embers on Foster's?
Chris Mercer | 2 August 2011
Does Molson Coors' decision to spend US$1.2bn to buy back its own shares deliver the knockout blow to lingering thoughts about the brewer acquiring Foster's Group?
I think the answer is yes, if that blow has not been delivered already. I think we can forget about Molson's potential tilt at Foster's, whether via a tie-up with Grupo Modelo or anyone else.
It seems unlikely that Molson would have the resources to fund both.
In reality, it has been distancing itself from the Australian brewer for some time. Late last year, Molson announced it would sell its 5% stake in Foster's.
Where does the buyback leave Molson Coors' acquisition strategy? With not many big players left to buy, the group will be looking for add-ons in the emerging markets, most likely. It recently acquired the stricken Cobra beer operations in India.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research