Blog: Molson Coors extinguishes the embers on Foster's?
Chris Mercer | 2 August 2011
Does Molson Coors' decision to spend US$1.2bn to buy back its own shares deliver the knockout blow to lingering thoughts about the brewer acquiring Foster's Group?
I think the answer is yes, if that blow has not been delivered already. I think we can forget about Molson's potential tilt at Foster's, whether via a tie-up with Grupo Modelo or anyone else.
It seems unlikely that Molson would have the resources to fund both.
In reality, it has been distancing itself from the Australian brewer for some time. Late last year, Molson announced it would sell its 5% stake in Foster's.
Where does the buyback leave Molson Coors' acquisition strategy? With not many big players left to buy, the group will be looking for add-ons in the emerging markets, most likely. It recently acquired the stricken Cobra beer operations in India.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015