Blog: Molson Coors extinguishes the embers on Foster's?
Chris Mercer | 2 August 2011
Does Molson Coors' decision to spend US$1.2bn to buy back its own shares deliver the knockout blow to lingering thoughts about the brewer acquiring Foster's Group?
I think the answer is yes, if that blow has not been delivered already. I think we can forget about Molson's potential tilt at Foster's, whether via a tie-up with Grupo Modelo or anyone else.
It seems unlikely that Molson would have the resources to fund both.
In reality, it has been distancing itself from the Australian brewer for some time. Late last year, Molson announced it would sell its 5% stake in Foster's.
Where does the buyback leave Molson Coors' acquisition strategy? With not many big players left to buy, the group will be looking for add-ons in the emerging markets, most likely. It recently acquired the stricken Cobra beer operations in India.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review