Blog: Molson Coors counts cost of Home Draught recall
Chris Mercer | 4 August 2010
Molson Coors' costs increased more quickly than they should have done in the UK in the second quarter of 2010 after the Carling brewer was forced to recall some of its newly launched Home Draught kegs.
Molson Coors pulled several batches of its Home Draught system from sale after receiving a consumer complaint.
How the alarm bells must have initially rung at the brewer's Burton-on-Trent headquarters. When launching a new product, the prospect of a recall must surely be listed under the "worst case scenario" heading.
The group said yesterday (3 August) that the recall contributed to 25% of an increase in sales costs per hectolitre of owned brands in the three months to the end of June. Cost of sales in local currency rose by 8%, excluding one-off pension-related payments, of which 2% was due to the recall.
No disaster, then, but it's not as if the brewer needs any extra problems in what is a particularly tough UK beer market.
Not that the recall held back own-brand volume sales, which returned to growth and crept up by 0.7% in the second quarter.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits