Blog: Molson Coors counts cost of Home Draught recall
Chris Mercer | 4 August 2010
Molson Coors' costs increased more quickly than they should have done in the UK in the second quarter of 2010 after the Carling brewer was forced to recall some of its newly launched Home Draught kegs.
Molson Coors pulled several batches of its Home Draught system from sale after receiving a consumer complaint.
How the alarm bells must have initially rung at the brewer's Burton-on-Trent headquarters. When launching a new product, the prospect of a recall must surely be listed under the "worst case scenario" heading.
The group said yesterday (3 August) that the recall contributed to 25% of an increase in sales costs per hectolitre of owned brands in the three months to the end of June. Cost of sales in local currency rose by 8%, excluding one-off pension-related payments, of which 2% was due to the recall.
No disaster, then, but it's not as if the brewer needs any extra problems in what is a particularly tough UK beer market.
Not that the recall held back own-brand volume sales, which returned to growth and crept up by 0.7% in the second quarter.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends