Blog: Minimum pricing - goodbye to all that?
Olly Wehring | 22 October 2009
Could that be it for the minimum pricing argument, then?
Today's opinion from the European Court of Justice Advocate General, that setting a minimum price on products is illegal, suggests that the death throes have begun for the idea.
What is most interesting is the language used in the opinion.
“The Commission takes the view in the light of the Court’s previous case-law that those rules infringe Article 9(1) of Council Directive 95/59/EC ... on taxes other than turnover taxes which affect the consumption of manufactured tobacco.”
Basically, the Advocate General is saying: “We've told you before, so we'll tell you again.”
Naturally, the industry would like to see this as a precedent-setting case that applies to all products, as well as tobacco.
While we have three to four months of wait until the final ruling is handed down, there will be many in our industry tentatively breathing a sigh of relief today.
To read the full opinion, click here.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits