Blog: Minimum pricing figures
Chris Mercer | 23 April 2010
Let's not get carried away with new figures on the impact of a minimum price for alcoholic drinks.
Scotland's Government has been left a touch red-faced by scientists whom it relied on to make the case for minimum pricing. The researchers have said the benefits for health and crime will be slightly less than first thought.
It turns out that the original study used old figures. It's a little embarrassing for the ruling Scottish National Party.
But, the new study still says minimum pricing can cut more than 1,000 deaths annually and it draws a direct link between a base price on drinks the amount that people drink.
So, I think it's a bit premature for talk of a "serious blow" to the policy, as one opposition politician was quoted as saying.
What's of more importance is the total confusion surrounding the SNP's Alcohol Health Bill.
All sort of measures, from a social responsibility levy and a ban on below-cost selling to outright minimum pricing, are being dangled over the drinks industry without any real timeline.
Much of the outcome will depend on which way Labour, as the second largest party in the Scottish Parliament, decides to go.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits