Blog: Minimum pricing figures
Chris Mercer | 23 April 2010
Let's not get carried away with new figures on the impact of a minimum price for alcoholic drinks.
Scotland's Government has been left a touch red-faced by scientists whom it relied on to make the case for minimum pricing. The researchers have said the benefits for health and crime will be slightly less than first thought.
It turns out that the original study used old figures. It's a little embarrassing for the ruling Scottish National Party.
But, the new study still says minimum pricing can cut more than 1,000 deaths annually and it draws a direct link between a base price on drinks the amount that people drink.
So, I think it's a bit premature for talk of a "serious blow" to the policy, as one opposition politician was quoted as saying.
What's of more importance is the total confusion surrounding the SNP's Alcohol Health Bill.
All sort of measures, from a social responsibility levy and a ban on below-cost selling to outright minimum pricing, are being dangled over the drinks industry without any real timeline.
Much of the outcome will depend on which way Labour, as the second largest party in the Scottish Parliament, decides to go.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director