Blog: Minimum pricing by stealth?
Chris Mercer | 24 March 2010
More duty tax rises on drink provide further evidence that the Government is attempting to crow-bar a minimum price onto the alcohol sector.
One face of it, things could have been worse. There was certainly pressure from some areas of the Government, championed on the outside by health groups, for even higher tax rises on alcohol in today's 2010 Budget.
Still, all drinks trade bodies are warning of more job losses in the sector.
There is now the very real danger that the tax rises, far from solving the nation's alcohol problem, will become significantly detrimental to both Government revenue from drinks and to the industry.
The UK is becoming a less attractive place to do business.
Ministers have not endorsed minimum pricing on alcohol in public, but it appears that a defacto minimum price is being stealthily introduced by a series of tax rises - now set to last for another four years.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits