Blog: Minimum pricing - Are you kidding?
Olly Wehring | 16 March 2009
To hear someone from within our industry attacking the notion of minimum pricing for alcohol is akin to learning what religion the Pope is, I concede.
But, at the same time, the wisdom of those who, in the past two weeks, have suggested the introduction of minimum pricing per alcohol unit in Scotland and the UK must be questioned, and as loudly as possible.
The first counter-attack – and one which has been adopted by the different industry bodies over here – is that this idea would see all drinkers be punished for the sins of a minority. It's a pity, though, that this minority dominate the attention of the UK's media.
But what really gets my goat is the timing of these proposals. Consider the depressing nature of every news broadcast/front page right now, and now someone suggests we all pay more for a drink?
I'd love to spend a day living in their bubble – it sounds quite nice.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits