Blog: Minimum pricing - Are you kidding?
Olly Wehring | 16 March 2009
To hear someone from within our industry attacking the notion of minimum pricing for alcohol is akin to learning what religion the Pope is, I concede.
But, at the same time, the wisdom of those who, in the past two weeks, have suggested the introduction of minimum pricing per alcohol unit in Scotland and the UK must be questioned, and as loudly as possible.
The first counter-attack – and one which has been adopted by the different industry bodies over here – is that this idea would see all drinkers be punished for the sins of a minority. It's a pity, though, that this minority dominate the attention of the UK's media.
But what really gets my goat is the timing of these proposals. Consider the depressing nature of every news broadcast/front page right now, and now someone suggests we all pay more for a drink?
I'd love to spend a day living in their bubble – it sounds quite nice.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends