Blog: Minimum pricing - Are you kidding?
Olly Wehring | 16 March 2009
To hear someone from within our industry attacking the notion of minimum pricing for alcohol is akin to learning what religion the Pope is, I concede.
But, at the same time, the wisdom of those who, in the past two weeks, have suggested the introduction of minimum pricing per alcohol unit in Scotland and the UK must be questioned, and as loudly as possible.
The first counter-attack – and one which has been adopted by the different industry bodies over here – is that this idea would see all drinkers be punished for the sins of a minority. It's a pity, though, that this minority dominate the attention of the UK's media.
But what really gets my goat is the timing of these proposals. Consider the depressing nature of every news broadcast/front page right now, and now someone suggests we all pay more for a drink?
I'd love to spend a day living in their bubble – it sounds quite nice.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends