Blog: Minimum pricing - Are you kidding?
Olly Wehring | 16 March 2009
To hear someone from within our industry attacking the notion of minimum pricing for alcohol is akin to learning what religion the Pope is, I concede.
But, at the same time, the wisdom of those who, in the past two weeks, have suggested the introduction of minimum pricing per alcohol unit in Scotland and the UK must be questioned, and as loudly as possible.
The first counter-attack – and one which has been adopted by the different industry bodies over here – is that this idea would see all drinkers be punished for the sins of a minority. It's a pity, though, that this minority dominate the attention of the UK's media.
But what really gets my goat is the timing of these proposals. Consider the depressing nature of every news broadcast/front page right now, and now someone suggests we all pay more for a drink?
I'd love to spend a day living in their bubble – it sounds quite nice.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends