Blog: Minimum prices for uni bars?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2009
The UK's National Union of Students (NUS) has said that it will recommend a minimum price for alcohol served in students' union bars at universities.
NUS president Wes Streeting, reelected at this week's annual conference in Blackpool, said that 'all you can drink' and 'three for one' offers on spirits measures have "no place" in university bars.
He added: "NUS will now work with our commercial arm, NUS Services, and student officers so that we can recommend a minimum price on alcohol in students’ unions."
Is the NUS living in the real world? Okay, students drink too much and the NUS has to be seen to be trying. But, cheap prices at university bars are one of the joys of university life, helping students to afford to drink - rather than forcing them to pay three times as much for a pint at some chrome-plated city centre bar.
One disgruntled student at the University of Liverpool rubbished the idea to just-drinks this afternoon. "Our guild prices are already more expensive than any other bar known to man," she scoffed.
Somehow, I think NUS headquarters may have a fight on its hands with this one...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research