Blog: Minimum prices for uni bars?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2009
The UK's National Union of Students (NUS) has said that it will recommend a minimum price for alcohol served in students' union bars at universities.
NUS president Wes Streeting, reelected at this week's annual conference in Blackpool, said that 'all you can drink' and 'three for one' offers on spirits measures have "no place" in university bars.
He added: "NUS will now work with our commercial arm, NUS Services, and student officers so that we can recommend a minimum price on alcohol in students’ unions."
Is the NUS living in the real world? Okay, students drink too much and the NUS has to be seen to be trying. But, cheap prices at university bars are one of the joys of university life, helping students to afford to drink - rather than forcing them to pay three times as much for a pint at some chrome-plated city centre bar.
One disgruntled student at the University of Liverpool rubbished the idea to just-drinks this afternoon. "Our guild prices are already more expensive than any other bar known to man," she scoffed.
Somehow, I think NUS headquarters may have a fight on its hands with this one...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring AG Barr, Bombay Sapphire, Wines of South Africa and Pabst Brewing Co....
It seems there's not much in the world that can make people smile these days. Luckily, we're part of an industry that has just been scientifically proven to do just that. ...
Despite accounting for just a small percentage of overall sales, craft beer is making an impression on the US....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Will low-alcohol wines wither on the vine?
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker hit by Travel Retail slump
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Quintessential Brands changes MD at Essential unit
- Anheuser-Busch InBev appoints new AmBev CEO