Blog: Minimum prices for uni bars?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2009
The UK's National Union of Students (NUS) has said that it will recommend a minimum price for alcohol served in students' union bars at universities.
NUS president Wes Streeting, reelected at this week's annual conference in Blackpool, said that 'all you can drink' and 'three for one' offers on spirits measures have "no place" in university bars.
He added: "NUS will now work with our commercial arm, NUS Services, and student officers so that we can recommend a minimum price on alcohol in students’ unions."
Is the NUS living in the real world? Okay, students drink too much and the NUS has to be seen to be trying. But, cheap prices at university bars are one of the joys of university life, helping students to afford to drink - rather than forcing them to pay three times as much for a pint at some chrome-plated city centre bar.
One disgruntled student at the University of Liverpool rubbished the idea to just-drinks this afternoon. "Our guild prices are already more expensive than any other bar known to man," she scoffed.
Somehow, I think NUS headquarters may have a fight on its hands with this one...
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018