Blog: Minimum prices for uni bars?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2009
The UK's National Union of Students (NUS) has said that it will recommend a minimum price for alcohol served in students' union bars at universities.
NUS president Wes Streeting, reelected at this week's annual conference in Blackpool, said that 'all you can drink' and 'three for one' offers on spirits measures have "no place" in university bars.
He added: "NUS will now work with our commercial arm, NUS Services, and student officers so that we can recommend a minimum price on alcohol in students’ unions."
Is the NUS living in the real world? Okay, students drink too much and the NUS has to be seen to be trying. But, cheap prices at university bars are one of the joys of university life, helping students to afford to drink - rather than forcing them to pay three times as much for a pint at some chrome-plated city centre bar.
One disgruntled student at the University of Liverpool rubbished the idea to just-drinks this afternoon. "Our guild prices are already more expensive than any other bar known to man," she scoffed.
Somehow, I think NUS headquarters may have a fight on its hands with this one...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Where does 'craft' sit in soft drinks? - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Anheuser-Busch InBev 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Incoming Coca-Cola CEO says job cuts are coming
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Campari warns of political unease as 2016 shines
- Cognac set for future growth - research
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine market in UK
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends