Blog: Minimum prices for uni bars?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2009
The UK's National Union of Students (NUS) has said that it will recommend a minimum price for alcohol served in students' union bars at universities.
NUS president Wes Streeting, reelected at this week's annual conference in Blackpool, said that 'all you can drink' and 'three for one' offers on spirits measures have "no place" in university bars.
He added: "NUS will now work with our commercial arm, NUS Services, and student officers so that we can recommend a minimum price on alcohol in students’ unions."
Is the NUS living in the real world? Okay, students drink too much and the NUS has to be seen to be trying. But, cheap prices at university bars are one of the joys of university life, helping students to afford to drink - rather than forcing them to pay three times as much for a pint at some chrome-plated city centre bar.
One disgruntled student at the University of Liverpool rubbished the idea to just-drinks this afternoon. "Our guild prices are already more expensive than any other bar known to man," she scoffed.
Somehow, I think NUS headquarters may have a fight on its hands with this one...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends