Blog: MillerCoors fronts up on Facebook
James Wilmore | 13 June 2014
Earlier this week, I suggested the rush by companies to voice their concern over corruption allegations around the Qatar FIFA World Cup bid was partly the result of fear of the reaction on social media.
But, trying to be upfront and take the lead can also prove a problem.
MillerCoors, along with Anheuser-Busch InBev, have both this week been the subject of consumer pressure over their lack of information on the ingredients used in their beers. More than 50,000 people have signed a petiton in the US calling for more transparency.
MillerCoors probably thought it was doing the right thing in posting the information on its official Facebook page. However, as is often the case when a company tries to engage on a public forum, the results can be unpredictable.
Vani Hari, the influential US food blogger who started the petition, challenged the company directly via Facebook over its use of corn syrup in its beers. The brewer replied to Hari, but then gave up after follow-up questions by the blogger.
Other users then weighed in, some with their own less-than-flattering views and further questions.
Can the old term "all publicity is good publicity" be applied in the world of social media? I'm not so sure.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report