Blog: MillerCoors fronts up on Facebook
James Wilmore | 13 June 2014
Earlier this week, I suggested the rush by companies to voice their concern over corruption allegations around the Qatar FIFA World Cup bid was partly the result of fear of the reaction on social media.
But, trying to be upfront and take the lead can also prove a problem.
MillerCoors, along with Anheuser-Busch InBev, have both this week been the subject of consumer pressure over their lack of information on the ingredients used in their beers. More than 50,000 people have signed a petiton in the US calling for more transparency.
MillerCoors probably thought it was doing the right thing in posting the information on its official Facebook page. However, as is often the case when a company tries to engage on a public forum, the results can be unpredictable.
Vani Hari, the influential US food blogger who started the petition, challenged the company directly via Facebook over its use of corn syrup in its beers. The brewer replied to Hari, but then gave up after follow-up questions by the blogger.
Other users then weighed in, some with their own less-than-flattering views and further questions.
Can the old term "all publicity is good publicity" be applied in the world of social media? I'm not so sure.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
The drinks industry in the European Union has been asked whether it wants to allow smaller beverage manufacturers to sell products at lower excise duty rates than their larger competitors....
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research