Blog: MillerCoors fronts up on Facebook
James Wilmore | 13 June 2014
Earlier this week, I suggested the rush by companies to voice their concern over corruption allegations around the Qatar FIFA World Cup bid was partly the result of fear of the reaction on social media.
But, trying to be upfront and take the lead can also prove a problem.
MillerCoors, along with Anheuser-Busch InBev, have both this week been the subject of consumer pressure over their lack of information on the ingredients used in their beers. More than 50,000 people have signed a petiton in the US calling for more transparency.
MillerCoors probably thought it was doing the right thing in posting the information on its official Facebook page. However, as is often the case when a company tries to engage on a public forum, the results can be unpredictable.
Vani Hari, the influential US food blogger who started the petition, challenged the company directly via Facebook over its use of corn syrup in its beers. The brewer replied to Hari, but then gave up after follow-up questions by the blogger.
Other users then weighed in, some with their own less-than-flattering views and further questions.
Can the old term "all publicity is good publicity" be applied in the world of social media? I'm not so sure.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The new owner of Goan lager brand King's Black Label, India's Viiking Group, is set to roll out the brand across the country....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research