Blog: MillerCoors fronts up on Facebook
James Wilmore | 13 June 2014
Earlier this week, I suggested the rush by companies to voice their concern over corruption allegations around the Qatar FIFA World Cup bid was partly the result of fear of the reaction on social media.
But, trying to be upfront and take the lead can also prove a problem.
MillerCoors, along with Anheuser-Busch InBev, have both this week been the subject of consumer pressure over their lack of information on the ingredients used in their beers. More than 50,000 people have signed a petiton in the US calling for more transparency.
MillerCoors probably thought it was doing the right thing in posting the information on its official Facebook page. However, as is often the case when a company tries to engage on a public forum, the results can be unpredictable.
Vani Hari, the influential US food blogger who started the petition, challenged the company directly via Facebook over its use of corn syrup in its beers. The brewer replied to Hari, but then gave up after follow-up questions by the blogger.
Other users then weighed in, some with their own less-than-flattering views and further questions.
Can the old term "all publicity is good publicity" be applied in the world of social media? I'm not so sure.
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages