Blog: Mexico's uncomfortable truth - soda before toilet paper
Andy Morton | 2 May 2014
Before the government introduced a new sugar tax this year, Mexico's soft drinks industry was one of the world's biggest.
Despite January's duty hike, it's still pretty huge, largely because - no matter the price - Mexican's won't give up their soda.
What they are willing to give up in its stead was put in stark relief by Coca-Cola FEMSA CFO Héctor Treviño Gutiérrez this week. Consumers, he said, hit by across-the-board price jumps on household staples, are “prioritising” soft drinks.
“They are not spending as much on other things like toilet paper."
Analysts, I hear, are unsure what this means for the bottom line.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
Harvest Hill Beverage Co is to launch a frozen fruit ice beverage through its recently-acquired American Beverage Corp subsidiary....
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly