Blog: Mexico's uncomfortable truth - soda before toilet paper
Andy Morton | 2 May 2014
Before the government introduced a new sugar tax this year, Mexico's soft drinks industry was one of the world's biggest.
Despite January's duty hike, it's still pretty huge, largely because - no matter the price - Mexican's won't give up their soda.
What they are willing to give up in its stead was put in stark relief by Coca-Cola FEMSA CFO Héctor Treviño Gutiérrez this week. Consumers, he said, hit by across-the-board price jumps on household staples, are “prioritising” soft drinks.
“They are not spending as much on other things like toilet paper."
Analysts, I hear, are unsure what this means for the bottom line.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
A new survey released today reveals that while 50% of UK workers would choose alcohol as a Christmas present from their employees, just 7% would opt for a charity donation sent on their behalf....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, SABMiller, Campari, Monster Beverage Corp and the Australian wine industry....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research