Blog: Measuring up fake wine
Lucy Britner | 27 May 2015
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau Lacounterfeit?
Elementary my dear reader – you call upon the Sherlock Holmes of the wine world.
In a video for Bloomberg Business, wine fraud investigator Maureen Downey shares a few tips on what to look out for, prefaced by the sad fact that, in the last 15 years, a wine collector will probably have purchased at least one counterfeit wine.
Downey looks for consistency and she also knows a lot about the historical composition of paper and glue. Then there's the length of the cork – counterfeiters get that wrong all the time, apparently.
So next time you're on the acquisition trail, pack your ruler and a magnifying glass...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Reh Kendermann has launched two German wines, including a Sauvignon Blanc, in the UK on-premise, targeting shoppers in two of the country's larger supermarket chains....
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends