Blog: Manic day throws up the future for wine
Olly Wehring | 29 March 2007
Into (London) town again today – I’ve got a full-on day on the go, I can tell you.
First stop was Coca-Cola Enterprises for 0800 to see how they’re doing here in the UK. Next to a VinExpo briefing to look at the 20-25 year-old wine market. Then, I’m off to see what Glenfiddich have to say about their new-look packaging, before I have to dress up as a penguin this evening to welcome Moët & Chandon’s 2000 Grand Vintage.
Yes, it’s tough – but I do it all for you.
The VinExpo presentation threw up some interesting comments from younger wine drinkers. While the research wasn’t the most comprehensive I’ve seen (20 people in each of five major world cities were quizzed), there was certainly some food for thought for the wine guys:
“I worked hard to try and like wine” (Japan).
“Wine defines more reasonable people: the guy who has a glass of wine looks more moderate, more mature” (US).
“It has become fashionable to offer your girlfriend a bottle of wine made in the year she was born” (Japan).
“Wine connoisseurs form a kind of exclusive club with their own special language that only they know how to use” (Belgium).
“There are too many brands, too many styles of wine” (US).
The best quote, however, came from the UK: “You don’t get drunk with wine,” one of the youngsters said.
What exactly are they drinking?
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Brewers v Distillers in Nutrition Control Battle
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly