Blog: Manic day throws up the future for wine
Olly Wehring | 29 March 2007
Into (London) town again today – I’ve got a full-on day on the go, I can tell you.
First stop was Coca-Cola Enterprises for 0800 to see how they’re doing here in the UK. Next to a VinExpo briefing to look at the 20-25 year-old wine market. Then, I’m off to see what Glenfiddich have to say about their new-look packaging, before I have to dress up as a penguin this evening to welcome Moët & Chandon’s 2000 Grand Vintage.
Yes, it’s tough – but I do it all for you.
The VinExpo presentation threw up some interesting comments from younger wine drinkers. While the research wasn’t the most comprehensive I’ve seen (20 people in each of five major world cities were quizzed), there was certainly some food for thought for the wine guys:
“I worked hard to try and like wine” (Japan).
“Wine defines more reasonable people: the guy who has a glass of wine looks more moderate, more mature” (US).
“It has become fashionable to offer your girlfriend a bottle of wine made in the year she was born” (Japan).
“Wine connoisseurs form a kind of exclusive club with their own special language that only they know how to use” (Belgium).
“There are too many brands, too many styles of wine” (US).
The best quote, however, came from the UK: “You don’t get drunk with wine,” one of the youngsters said.
What exactly are they drinking?
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends