Blog: Manic day throws up the future for wine
Olly Wehring | 29 March 2007
Into (London) town again today – I’ve got a full-on day on the go, I can tell you.
First stop was Coca-Cola Enterprises for 0800 to see how they’re doing here in the UK. Next to a VinExpo briefing to look at the 20-25 year-old wine market. Then, I’m off to see what Glenfiddich have to say about their new-look packaging, before I have to dress up as a penguin this evening to welcome Moët & Chandon’s 2000 Grand Vintage.
Yes, it’s tough – but I do it all for you.
The VinExpo presentation threw up some interesting comments from younger wine drinkers. While the research wasn’t the most comprehensive I’ve seen (20 people in each of five major world cities were quizzed), there was certainly some food for thought for the wine guys:
“I worked hard to try and like wine” (Japan).
“Wine defines more reasonable people: the guy who has a glass of wine looks more moderate, more mature” (US).
“It has become fashionable to offer your girlfriend a bottle of wine made in the year she was born” (Japan).
“Wine connoisseurs form a kind of exclusive club with their own special language that only they know how to use” (Belgium).
“There are too many brands, too many styles of wine” (US).
The best quote, however, came from the UK: “You don’t get drunk with wine,” one of the youngsters said.
What exactly are they drinking?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report