Blog: Manic day throws up the future for wine
Olly Wehring | 29 March 2007
Into (London) town again today – I’ve got a full-on day on the go, I can tell you.
First stop was Coca-Cola Enterprises for 0800 to see how they’re doing here in the UK. Next to a VinExpo briefing to look at the 20-25 year-old wine market. Then, I’m off to see what Glenfiddich have to say about their new-look packaging, before I have to dress up as a penguin this evening to welcome Moët & Chandon’s 2000 Grand Vintage.
Yes, it’s tough – but I do it all for you.
The VinExpo presentation threw up some interesting comments from younger wine drinkers. While the research wasn’t the most comprehensive I’ve seen (20 people in each of five major world cities were quizzed), there was certainly some food for thought for the wine guys:
“I worked hard to try and like wine” (Japan).
“Wine defines more reasonable people: the guy who has a glass of wine looks more moderate, more mature” (US).
“It has become fashionable to offer your girlfriend a bottle of wine made in the year she was born” (Japan).
“Wine connoisseurs form a kind of exclusive club with their own special language that only they know how to use” (Belgium).
“There are too many brands, too many styles of wine” (US).
The best quote, however, came from the UK: “You don’t get drunk with wine,” one of the youngsters said.
What exactly are they drinking?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends