Blog: Manic day throws up the future for wine
Olly Wehring | 29 March 2007
Into (London) town again today – I’ve got a full-on day on the go, I can tell you.
First stop was Coca-Cola Enterprises for 0800 to see how they’re doing here in the UK. Next to a VinExpo briefing to look at the 20-25 year-old wine market. Then, I’m off to see what Glenfiddich have to say about their new-look packaging, before I have to dress up as a penguin this evening to welcome Moët & Chandon’s 2000 Grand Vintage.
Yes, it’s tough – but I do it all for you.
The VinExpo presentation threw up some interesting comments from younger wine drinkers. While the research wasn’t the most comprehensive I’ve seen (20 people in each of five major world cities were quizzed), there was certainly some food for thought for the wine guys:
“I worked hard to try and like wine” (Japan).
“Wine defines more reasonable people: the guy who has a glass of wine looks more moderate, more mature” (US).
“It has become fashionable to offer your girlfriend a bottle of wine made in the year she was born” (Japan).
“Wine connoisseurs form a kind of exclusive club with their own special language that only they know how to use” (Belgium).
“There are too many brands, too many styles of wine” (US).
The best quote, however, came from the UK: “You don’t get drunk with wine,” one of the youngsters said.
What exactly are they drinking?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Soft Drinks Has The Bottle to Cut Sugar - Comment
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research