Blog: Making gin in the shed
Lucy Britner | 14 July 2015
The shed contains a working distillery
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins.
For Jonathan Engels in Scotland's Cairngorms National Park, it's much more inspiring. He renovated a chicken hut, using bits of an old chapel, to create the dream shed: a drinking parlour complete with gin distillery. And the work only cost him GBP500 (US$780).
Apparently the former architect ended up in the Cairngorms because there's loads of wild juniper there - and so Crossbill Gin came about.
The shed just won TV network Channel 4's Shed of the Year in the UK - beating 2,520 other sheds, including one in which a woman was knitting a car.
You never know what goes on behind shed doors.
The chief executive of the Scotch Whisky Association, David Frost, is stepping down to become an advisor to UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends