Blog: Making gin in the shed
Lucy Britner | 14 July 2015
The shed contains a working distillery
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins.
For Jonathan Engels in Scotland's Cairngorms National Park, it's much more inspiring. He renovated a chicken hut, using bits of an old chapel, to create the dream shed: a drinking parlour complete with gin distillery. And the work only cost him GBP500 (US$780).
Apparently the former architect ended up in the Cairngorms because there's loads of wild juniper there - and so Crossbill Gin came about.
The shed just won TV network Channel 4's Shed of the Year in the UK - beating 2,520 other sheds, including one in which a woman was knitting a car.
You never know what goes on behind shed doors.
In the US, carbonated water has become a non-alcoholic beverage star, as consumers choose sparkling waters and seltzers instead of carbonated soft drinks to cut calorie and sugar consumption. The same...
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers division has added a new expression to its Scapa single malt Scotch whisky portfolio....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends