Blog: Majestic Wine by name, Majestic by nature
Chris Mercer | 13 June 2011
Majestic Wine continues to show that it is possible to make money from wine in the UK.
Majestic has today reported strong rises in profits and sales for its latest fiscal year. In a 12-month period that has witnessed the final stand of Oddbins, and in a sector littered with past failures, the retailer's performance stands out.
Some critics of Majestic can be heard complaining that it is "not the place you go to buy interesting wine". Surely, though, this sounds a little like sour grapes?
To me, the group's results show that it is possible to have a profitable business model, at the same time as supporting staff education, in the UK's independent wine sector.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends