Blog: Majestic Wine by name, Majestic by nature
Chris Mercer | 13 June 2011
Majestic Wine continues to show that it is possible to make money from wine in the UK.
Majestic has today reported strong rises in profits and sales for its latest fiscal year. In a 12-month period that has witnessed the final stand of Oddbins, and in a sector littered with past failures, the retailer's performance stands out.
Some critics of Majestic can be heard complaining that it is "not the place you go to buy interesting wine". Surely, though, this sounds a little like sour grapes?
To me, the group's results show that it is possible to have a profitable business model, at the same time as supporting staff education, in the UK's independent wine sector.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends