Blog: Mais non, le Kiwi est Francais!
Olly Wehring | 7 December 2005
While everyone knows how tough a time the winemakers in France have been having of late, the lengths to which they will go to protect their lot never cease to surprise. If it’s not firebombing wine cellars or disrupting internal transport services, it’s protecting their geographical heritage. But maybe, just maybe, they’ve gone too far with this one.
Kahurangi Estate, a wine maker on New Zealand’s South Island, has been threatened with legal action by France’s Lacheteau wine company this week. The reason? Lacheteau has registered the name ‘Kiwi Cuvee’ as a trademark, and will sue anyone selling wine with that name anywhere in the European Union, the New Zealand Herald has reported.
Kahurangi Estate, which makes a chardonnay called Kiwi White, has been exporting its wine to Sweden since before Lacheteau trademarked the name in May.
“It’s a case of the pot calling the kettle black,” Kahurangi founder Greg Day told the paper. “Here’s the French trying to protect Burgundy as a geographical indicator and saying we can’t use Kiwi.”
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets