Blog: Looks like we made it
Olly Wehring | 21 December 2005
Well, we’re almost there. The end of another frenetic year for the global drinks industry is just around the corner and, while some of you are racing to get those last, vital orders out, we here at just-drinks can finally ease the foot off the pedal as we look forward to a well-earned respite.
And what a year it’s been. From Pernod Ricard’s purchase of Allied Domecq in the wine and spirits sectors to Anheuser-Busch’s and SABMiller’s ongoing skirmishes in the US beer industry, via the sale of Cadbury Schweppes’ European beverages division on the soft drinks front, I think we can all safely say that the headlines have come thick and fast in 2005. And I should know - I wrote most of them.
In this, my final blog before Christmas (we close for the week between Christmas and New Year, and will be back refreshed on Tuesday 3 January), I want to thank you all for your continued support. We have been deluged on an almost daily basis by tip-offs and story ideas from freelancers, industry insiders, PR companies and internal marketing departments the world over - if your lot aren’t hitting us yet, then give them a nudge - and just-drinks goes from strength to strength as a result.
So, whether you’re already in wind-down mode, or are expecting to be chained to your desk until midnight on 24 December, may I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I get the feeling that 2006 might just top 2005, and I for one can’t wait.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends