Blog: London Mayor offers sanctuary to New Yorkers wanting to avoid soft drinks ban
James Wilmore | 12 June 2012
You can usually rely on London Mayor Boris Johnson for a chuckle. And he's been at it again.
BoJo, as he's affectionately known by some in England, has told New Yorkers they can move to London if they want to avoid the proposed ban on large soft drinks.
In an appearance on satirical news programme The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Johnson said "refugees from the soda tyranny in New York will have sanctuary in London".
He added: "I don't want to sound jingoistic, but if you do wish to come and drink soda from a 16oz pot, come to London. Bring your huddled masses yearning to break free."
However, BoJo admitted that obesity was a problem in both cities. "The reality is we are all getting fatter. It is a problem in a city like London and it is a problem in New York.
"If you can stop kids getting fatter by restricting the size of the Coke they drink then why not?"
You can view the video below. The clip is 50 seconds in...
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- SABMiller's troubles fuel M&A rumours
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- TWE unveils Penfolds range after CEO's "bold move"