Blog: London Mayor offers sanctuary to New Yorkers wanting to avoid soft drinks ban
James Wilmore | 12 June 2012
You can usually rely on London Mayor Boris Johnson for a chuckle. And he's been at it again.
BoJo, as he's affectionately known by some in England, has told New Yorkers they can move to London if they want to avoid the proposed ban on large soft drinks.
In an appearance on satirical news programme The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Johnson said "refugees from the soda tyranny in New York will have sanctuary in London".
He added: "I don't want to sound jingoistic, but if you do wish to come and drink soda from a 16oz pot, come to London. Bring your huddled masses yearning to break free."
However, BoJo admitted that obesity was a problem in both cities. "The reality is we are all getting fatter. It is a problem in a city like London and it is a problem in New York.
"If you can stop kids getting fatter by restricting the size of the Coke they drink then why not?"
You can view the video below. The clip is 50 seconds in...
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously. ...
Does Pernod Ricard have something to hide? In a press conference after the release of full-year results today, only a quarter of the 100 minutes were given over to questions from journalists....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
The Coca-Cola Co's Keurig Cold machine won't be out until next year. But co-developer Keurig Green Mountain has given us a taste with the unveiling this weekend of another at-home beverage platform, t...
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push