Blog: LIWF & Distil - our parting gesture
Olly Wehring | 22 May 2008
And so, the end is near...
We're into the final day of the London International Wine Fair & Distil and, like every previous show, we've been traipsing the aisles, meeting the great and the good of the wine and spirits industries.
It's been an excellent show with, I'm told, increased numbers on 2007. The Distil section of the show has split the crowds, with some thinking it's not as strong an event as it could be. I'm in the opposing camp, however. With Diageo and Whyte & Mackay present in year one, I'm assured by some of the notable absentees that they took a wait-and-see approach with Distil, and will “probably” be on-board next year.
And so, with a final glance back at the hall, which is slowly emptying of upbeat Man Utd fans, inconsolable Chelsea fans and girls in their underwear offering vodka to all and sundry, we bid farewell to this year's event.
With the Champion's League final moving to a Saturday, and the event coming forward to 12 – 14 May next year, we can be sure two of those three won't be at ExCel in 2009.
Admit it, you'd miss those girls.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends