Blog: LIWF & Distil - our parting gesture
Olly Wehring | 22 May 2008
And so, the end is near...
We're into the final day of the London International Wine Fair & Distil and, like every previous show, we've been traipsing the aisles, meeting the great and the good of the wine and spirits industries.
It's been an excellent show with, I'm told, increased numbers on 2007. The Distil section of the show has split the crowds, with some thinking it's not as strong an event as it could be. I'm in the opposing camp, however. With Diageo and Whyte & Mackay present in year one, I'm assured by some of the notable absentees that they took a wait-and-see approach with Distil, and will “probably” be on-board next year.
And so, with a final glance back at the hall, which is slowly emptying of upbeat Man Utd fans, inconsolable Chelsea fans and girls in their underwear offering vodka to all and sundry, we bid farewell to this year's event.
With the Champion's League final moving to a Saturday, and the event coming forward to 12 – 14 May next year, we can be sure two of those three won't be at ExCel in 2009.
Admit it, you'd miss those girls.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- The European beer market - Focus
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row