Blog: LIWF & Distil - Aussies' thirst for New Zealand wines
Chris Mercer | 19 May 2010
Australia's embraces New Zealand wines
There is a wry smile on the face of New Zealand Winegrowers' Philip Gregan as he mentions that Australia is now the biggest export market by value for 'Kiwi' winemakers.
Australia is almost drinking as much New Zealand wine as the UK. This is quite remarkable, not only because of the fabled rivalry between the two wine producing nations but also because Australia has a fraction of the UK's inhabitants.
Per capita consumption of New Zealand wine in Australia is around two litres, compared to less than one in the UK. Australia is now the most profitable market for New Zealand wines.
Gregan, who is CEO of the New Zealand trade body, puts this down to his country's fresher styles of popular varietals, notably Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
"Australia is a huge producer and produces some very good wines, so we've been very surprised by our success there in the last six or seven years," a smiling Gregan told just-drinks at the London International Wine Fair today (19 May).
For more on just-drinks' chat with Gregan, click here.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends