Blog: LIWF & Distil - Aussies' thirst for New Zealand wines
Chris Mercer | 19 May 2010
Australia's embraces New Zealand wines
There is a wry smile on the face of New Zealand Winegrowers' Philip Gregan as he mentions that Australia is now the biggest export market by value for 'Kiwi' winemakers.
Australia is almost drinking as much New Zealand wine as the UK. This is quite remarkable, not only because of the fabled rivalry between the two wine producing nations but also because Australia has a fraction of the UK's inhabitants.
Per capita consumption of New Zealand wine in Australia is around two litres, compared to less than one in the UK. Australia is now the most profitable market for New Zealand wines.
Gregan, who is CEO of the New Zealand trade body, puts this down to his country's fresher styles of popular varietals, notably Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
"Australia is a huge producer and produces some very good wines, so we've been very surprised by our success there in the last six or seven years," a smiling Gregan told just-drinks at the London International Wine Fair today (19 May).
For more on just-drinks' chat with Gregan, click here.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends