Blog: LIWF & Distil - Aussies' thirst for New Zealand wines
Chris Mercer | 19 May 2010
Australia's embraces New Zealand wines
There is a wry smile on the face of New Zealand Winegrowers' Philip Gregan as he mentions that Australia is now the biggest export market by value for 'Kiwi' winemakers.
Australia is almost drinking as much New Zealand wine as the UK. This is quite remarkable, not only because of the fabled rivalry between the two wine producing nations but also because Australia has a fraction of the UK's inhabitants.
Per capita consumption of New Zealand wine in Australia is around two litres, compared to less than one in the UK. Australia is now the most profitable market for New Zealand wines.
Gregan, who is CEO of the New Zealand trade body, puts this down to his country's fresher styles of popular varietals, notably Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
"Australia is a huge producer and produces some very good wines, so we've been very surprised by our success there in the last six or seven years," a smiling Gregan told just-drinks at the London International Wine Fair today (19 May).
For more on just-drinks' chat with Gregan, click here.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends