Blog: LIWF & Distil - Aussies' thirst for New Zealand wines
Chris Mercer | 19 May 2010
Australia's embraces New Zealand wines
There is a wry smile on the face of New Zealand Winegrowers' Philip Gregan as he mentions that Australia is now the biggest export market by value for 'Kiwi' winemakers.
Australia is almost drinking as much New Zealand wine as the UK. This is quite remarkable, not only because of the fabled rivalry between the two wine producing nations but also because Australia has a fraction of the UK's inhabitants.
Per capita consumption of New Zealand wine in Australia is around two litres, compared to less than one in the UK. Australia is now the most profitable market for New Zealand wines.
Gregan, who is CEO of the New Zealand trade body, puts this down to his country's fresher styles of popular varietals, notably Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
"Australia is a huge producer and produces some very good wines, so we've been very surprised by our success there in the last six or seven years," a smiling Gregan told just-drinks at the London International Wine Fair today (19 May).
For more on just-drinks' chat with Gregan, click here.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World