Blog: LIWF & Distil - Aussies' thirst for New Zealand wines
Chris Mercer | 19 May 2010
Australia's embraces New Zealand wines
There is a wry smile on the face of New Zealand Winegrowers' Philip Gregan as he mentions that Australia is now the biggest export market by value for 'Kiwi' winemakers.
Australia is almost drinking as much New Zealand wine as the UK. This is quite remarkable, not only because of the fabled rivalry between the two wine producing nations but also because Australia has a fraction of the UK's inhabitants.
Per capita consumption of New Zealand wine in Australia is around two litres, compared to less than one in the UK. Australia is now the most profitable market for New Zealand wines.
Gregan, who is CEO of the New Zealand trade body, puts this down to his country's fresher styles of popular varietals, notably Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
"Australia is a huge producer and produces some very good wines, so we've been very surprised by our success there in the last six or seven years," a smiling Gregan told just-drinks at the London International Wine Fair today (19 May).
For more on just-drinks' chat with Gregan, click here.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row