Blog: LIWF & Distil 2009 - The curtain closes
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2009
The 2009 London International Wine Fair & Distil 2009 flew by in what felt like seconds last week.
Given the dire state of national economies around the world, it was no surprise to find a slightly more subdued atmosphere at this year's show. Visitor numbers were down slightly on 2008, according to initial estimates from organising body, Brintex. But, there was still plenty to report on and talk about, not to mention the odd after-show drinks bash.
Among the highlights was just-drinks' own Chris Brook-Carter, who detailed the results of a survey of 50 top executives on the UK wine market.
Nearly a third of respondents said that they were pessimistic about the prospects for the sector over the next year. There is widespread concern among wine merchants that the UK is becoming a less attractive place to do business amid tax rises, high retailer margins and recession.
After all, the argument goes, why ship your wine to the UK when you can shift volumes to other markets and, at least, make some money? It is an increasingly pressing issue for those involved in the UK wine business.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range