Blog: LIWF & Distil 2009 - The curtain closes
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2009
The 2009 London International Wine Fair & Distil 2009 flew by in what felt like seconds last week.
Given the dire state of national economies around the world, it was no surprise to find a slightly more subdued atmosphere at this year's show. Visitor numbers were down slightly on 2008, according to initial estimates from organising body, Brintex. But, there was still plenty to report on and talk about, not to mention the odd after-show drinks bash.
Among the highlights was just-drinks' own Chris Brook-Carter, who detailed the results of a survey of 50 top executives on the UK wine market.
Nearly a third of respondents said that they were pessimistic about the prospects for the sector over the next year. There is widespread concern among wine merchants that the UK is becoming a less attractive place to do business amid tax rises, high retailer margins and recession.
After all, the argument goes, why ship your wine to the UK when you can shift volumes to other markets and, at least, make some money? It is an increasingly pressing issue for those involved in the UK wine business.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends