Blog: LIWF & Distil 2009 - The curtain closes
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2009
The 2009 London International Wine Fair & Distil 2009 flew by in what felt like seconds last week.
Given the dire state of national economies around the world, it was no surprise to find a slightly more subdued atmosphere at this year's show. Visitor numbers were down slightly on 2008, according to initial estimates from organising body, Brintex. But, there was still plenty to report on and talk about, not to mention the odd after-show drinks bash.
Among the highlights was just-drinks' own Chris Brook-Carter, who detailed the results of a survey of 50 top executives on the UK wine market.
Nearly a third of respondents said that they were pessimistic about the prospects for the sector over the next year. There is widespread concern among wine merchants that the UK is becoming a less attractive place to do business amid tax rises, high retailer margins and recession.
After all, the argument goes, why ship your wine to the UK when you can shift volumes to other markets and, at least, make some money? It is an increasingly pressing issue for those involved in the UK wine business.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits